View Single Post
Old 09-29-2006, 05:29 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Hmmm: Lee's got a .20 cal mold out?? Six cavity??

With that to start with, then maybe it wouldn't be too hard to push them thru a .17 sizer die.

GW: were those hard lead as cast? OR jacketed?

I've been trying to get Paul R to help me make a jacket punch for .22 cases.

What has me stumped is cutting them off to length without wrecking them.

Do wish I could see the die set up to make jacketed type bullets.

I've been casting a lot of years and found a great alloy is 'picking pellets' at the range and using that for the lead. It's hard enough I can't mark it with a thumb nail. That's hard enough it won't lead a pistol barrel. Do believe it's limited as to velocity unless there's a jacket on it. I haven't shot any in a rifle but, others have with my salvaged lead, two of them were very hard to beat shooting CMP match's @ 200yds.

I'd be willing to send a few pistol bullets to some of you guys to check out the material. It's the same as you'd get going to the range's berm and picking it up though. Only thing different is I got this in quantity at a pistol range a few yrs back. Until then, I was taking a bucket to the outdoor range and "picking pellets". In a half hour I could get two buckets with enough it was hard to carry them.

Rocks, dirt, jackets and other crap all floats so don't worry about that part any.

I cast enough to justify Lee's six cavity molds as the only molds I buy. Have several of them at $50 each.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"