View Single Post
Old 01-08-2022, 05:43 AM

We like the 17 Hornady Hornet very well.

My daughter has an Eabco 23 inch .810 barrel on a G1 Easy Open Contender that is going to be passed down to her younger siblings. She is getting a different G1 Easy Open frame and Boyd’s stock that will fit her and a new 21 inch MGM tapered stainless barrel. I have a CZ American and two of my friends also have the same CZ and another friend has the CZ Varmint.

They all shoot the 20 V-max or 20 Dogtowns very well. The HP kills reliably out past 200 yards much more reliably than the plastic tip bullets on rock chucks. The plastic tip bullets may or may not open up past 200 yards.

I could go with either the CZ or the Contender and be equally happy. Send your CZ magazines to Calhoon and load the bullets out and accuracy is better. 12.2 grains of 1680 and 7 1/2 primer.

The Hornady brass sucks hard. If Starline would run some 17 HH brass I would pick up a couple thousand.

Our rifles all shoot well - 3/4 to 7/8 inch groups. My daughters original Contender with the Eabco barrel will do better, I’ve shot quite a few 1/2 inch groups using it. We are getting north of 3,600 FPS over our 35Ps

I suppose that if I were so inclined I could get more accuracy out of the CZs. We shoot chucks and prairie dogs out to 250 with the 17 Hornets and they are plenty accurate for that game.