View Single Post
Old 06-13-2022, 06:13 PM
Supporting Member

I have a Caldwell BRP, had one since they came out after I found that Ricks wasn't available. Tried a couple times to use it and got PO'd. First the the bearing sleeve they installed in the base wouldn't allow the rest to pivot if sitting on the seat. Lord knows it was sloppy enough fit it should have turned. Since I'm tall and have bad knees I need a seat that's 23 inches off the ground. The column was too short if I raised the seat to that height, I couldn't bend over and shoot off the top. Even with a tall front rest and rear bags. This thing set for years. This spring I chopped the column and had tig welded a 1/4" wall tube of 6061 to give me an additional 8 inches of height. I copied the original top size but in a good grade plywood and moved the mounting bracket more to the rear (where the curved cutout is) for better access. It's still not right so this summer a new top is in order. Since I copied the factory top in size I found it needed to be longer, front to back, my rest legs were at the front edge of the top. I'll add to the length on the next top. I used it for 6 days this spring. It worked far better in the modified form. At least I could partly stand and rotate the bench , then sit down. I'm convinced it may look and called a BRP.... it ain't. Just be prepared to make it fit you if you buy one.