View Single Post
Old 07-20-2022, 03:02 PM

For years I preferred a 22-250 with heavy sporter barrel. I used a Remington 788, but a Winchester model 70 or Remingotn 7, 600 or 700 short action would have suited me fine. I used that rifle off the bench and the barrels I have taken off show it. But I also used it for going for a hike and shooting chucks along the way. I really never used it for walking dog towns.

These days I shoot more chucks and prairie dogs with a 22 or 17 Hornet and use them primarily for mobile shooting and have a Harris S Series Bipod on them.

We have always shot more prairie dogs strolling around than bench shooting, but we have shot thousands upon thousands of both from benches and continue to do so. I shot a 22 Magnum Savage Anschutz sporter for decades and now days use a CZ 227 American in 17 or 22 Hornet for my strolling around rifle.

I shoot our Winchester Model 70 SA Heavy Varmint in 243 more from the bench lately because my 84 year old spotter can see the bullet strike and call shots easier.

If I had to go with a single rifle it would be something like the original HS Precision stocked CZ 527 Kevlar Varmint in 223. But I could be happy with a Winchester sporter in 223 as well. The CZ 527 Varmint weight barrel is about as heavy a barrel as I would want.

I was looking in barrels that were taken off of my Remington 788 22-250 the other day and they are burnt completely out for eight inches from the chamber. Not that you can't do that with a 223, but it does happens much more slowly when bench shooting and you are laying a lot of fire down than with a 22-250.

Last edited by JDHasty; 07-21-2022 at 04:17 AM.