View Single Post
Old 05-01-2016, 04:59 PM
Supporting Member

Hi Kenny, yes, all my forming has been just neck to 20 with a crush fit on the false shoulder and shoot at about 3050 fps. Have formed about 80 this way just in break in and sight in with no lost cases. I will also be forming some cases using the technique Doug has used.

I am using WW cases,WSR primers,and 32 Vmax. I've been using Lilgun to form but will probably use A1680 for formed cases. I haven't done any serious load development yet, as my priority is loading about 400 fire forming loads for a gopher and PD trip in a couple weeks. I'm with you, much better to form in a PD town

I did a little experiment because of the brass shortage. I took a hand press and gear to the range. I used 6 cases, 3 annealed, 3 not. After fire forming they were all reloaded 11 times each at approx 3300 fps. All primer pockets stayed tight and were usable at the end. I could feel the necks work harden at about 5 firings and that would have been the place to anneal if possible. Certainly not very scientific but makes me feel like the brass may hold up acceptably.

Upon my return from the fire forming trip I hope to do some more serious load work.
Larry