View Single Post
Old 07-24-2016, 02:31 PM

Default I'm with Al . . .

I prefer the 1% antimony. Regardless of the alloy, some bleed-by is preferable to none. I have used up to 3% antimony: even that works GREAT - especially for "huntin'" bullets.

I am probably too anal, but have punches @ 0.0002" increments. That said, if the bleed-by is uniform, even what I consider, "excessive" still shoots! A closer punch/jacket fit makes for more sticking and punch "etching".

Even "converted" presses are not necessarily SQUARE. If you experience the bleed squirting [disproportionately] up one side, try keeping your core punch centered by using one, or, more O-rings between the punch flange and the punch nut: slip the O-ring(s) onto the punch, seat a core with the punch loose, then, at top of stroke, tighten the nut against the O-ring. Properly sized O-ring are usually stocked at the local hardware store.

Verify centering by ejecting jacket mouth to the die mouth, and running the punch back into the jacket mouth - if it doesn't return without contacting the jacket lip, repeat until the punch re-enters the the jackets w/out contact.

Largely, misalignment cannot be corrected - though some presses have provisions for [supposedly] doing so, it can be accomplished only to a very small degree. Good shootin'! RG