View Single Post
Old 10-13-2017, 06:56 PM
Administrator

Default My Coopers

I've owned and still own a bunch of Coopers, but won't say how many 'cuz someone might come and carry off my two safes. I'm an unrecoverable Cooperholic.

I think over the years we have had 4 Saubier Postal Shoots. Coopers have been classified for them as "custom".

Of the 4, I won two, both with Varmint Extremes, a 17M4, and a 20VT. I did shoot other Coopers in each, standing well down in the list for the 3 each five shoot groups.

The best group was with one of the "non-winners", an old small barreled 17AH with a Schabnolled (SP) stock and 20 inch barrel, at 0.944" at 100 yards. Ended up with something like a half MOA aggregate for that set.

I've had two Coopers that went back due to really bad barrels, one that would foul so badly that while the first 3 shot group was half MOA or better, by the third group would grow to 4-5".

I had one of the bad reamer 17M4s, a Classic M21. Rob Behr put 2 or three barrels on it that wouldn't make muster. Ended up asking me if he could change the caliber. I agreed and it came back as a 223AI . That summer I killed more ground hogs with it than I had killed in one year with all but one of my other Coopers, a Classic M21 in 223.

I have had two Browning 22s, one Micro Medallion and one Micro Hunter that shoot Hornady 35 gr. Vmaxes into half MOA groups, as well as two Varmint barreled CZs, a 223 and a 17HH that shot in the sub half MOA range, so I'm not a complete Cooper hog.

Rifles that won't shoot half MOA or better 3 shot groups don't stay in my safes for long.

My 2 cents worth

Alex