View Single Post
Old 03-08-2019, 07:53 AM

Camel is on the money, I make my 17 cal jackets out of 22rf cases. Once drawn to 17 any imperfections from the original rim are ironed out and with a push through, pinch trim die a very neat jacket can be made. You could use just a end mill in a collet system for great variety in length.
I could not imagine trying to import jackets from overseas as the cost would be inhibitive. It only takes two passes through the press to make the jacket not including cleaning and annealing.
I make jackets from .450" up to .530" long. Lightest 17gn up to 30gn. These jackets have been pushed to 4300f/s without issue.
The only problem, if you could call it that, is that the 17 is a poor performer at low velocity, below 1400 f/s. I have tried many variants and I believe the small cross section really does not lead itself low velocity. Go fast or not at all.
As to lead wire, I have a mate up the road about 450km away who has a Corbin Hydro, H Press who extrudes the wire for me. I see him once a year or so and make 50kg or so. We extrude wire for 224 as well and that is the majority as you can make a lot of 17 cal projectiles out of 20kg of wire.
I cast the lead billets out of dead soft lead roof flashing prior to going down to make the wire as it saves a lot of time. Each billet comes out as over 2M of 17 cal wire.

Bill

Last edited by Bills Shed; 03-08-2019 at 08:44 AM.