View Single Post
Old 03-02-2007, 02:42 PM

BTW- "The Load" I mentioned was written up by Ed Harris, who is curently a contributing menmber on the CBA web site's forum. Ed's been there, done that, pretty much everything with cast or jacketed.
: As far as leading and alloy hardness - size is more important than alloy hardness. With velocities below about 1,700fps, the only way to get leading is with undersize bullets, if a BW/Alox lube is used. Even range salvage and WW will take up to 1,700fps and in some guns, well over that velocity, without leading. My .458's shoot 1/2 and 1/2 WW and pure lead for a brinel of about 7 or 8, right to 2,000fps without leading and 2,200fps with straight wheelweight alloy. It's about size. I've found my handguns don't lead at all now that I shoot oversize WW alloy bullets, both .357 mag and .44 mag with full power loads. Slugging one's chamber mouths is the very most important measurement along with bullets that fit the chamber mouths perfectly. The groove diameter must be smaller than this or identical, but not larger as some older Colts were. Best case senario is to have the groove diameter .001" to .0005" smaller than the chamber throat.

Last edited by Daryl; 03-02-2007 at 02:50 PM.