View Single Post
Old 06-14-2018, 11:33 AM

I have caught a lot of flack for buying higher end glass. I ignore those folks input with nothing more than a casual glance.

To my understanding, in a nutshell, the light transmission has more to do with coatings than the size of the tube. I forget the measurement, but there is only a certain amount of light the eye will use. The size of the tube is more in line with elevation and windage.

I am also near sighted, I thought I was bad till I read your description. I will not spend any more money on glass unless I can look through it first.

Don't buy glass and judge it on a crystal clear blue bird day, they all look good then. Much like buying a used car in the rain, dents don't show.
Go to a cloudy overcast day, then the light gathering capabilities of optics are noticed.
I once had the opportunity to look through some high end glass, a comma and several zeros or nines in the price. First day or so was fairly bright and clear. My glass looked as good or better than his. A front came through really over cast. I struggled to see things, looked through the "other" and I was shocked.

Everyone's eyes are different and we all see things a bit different. Only you can make the call of what works for you.