View Single Post
Old 07-03-2019, 12:56 PM

I got in touch with JSH's buddy and I'm leaning more towards the 87gr Vmax now. It sports a respectable BC for it's weight and at the velocity window i'll be using it should work well.

I see hornady also has a 90 ELD-x now as well so I may pick up a box of each and play with them in some wet pack or something at simulated velocities (ie. reduced loads to ~1800 ft/sec) as I'm more concerned about the big end performance.

I found an interesting article about the 87 vmax on speed goats. one guy uses that bullet exclusively and has taken many shots from 400-700yds (.243 win velocities) with his furthest at 765yds and he said it mushroomed nicely and was found on the offside hide (impact velocity was sub 1700ft/sec) He brought up a good point though about expending all of the energy in the animal vs it punching through and putting the energy in the dirt(which is also what JSH's buddy was hinting towards). He claimed that he never had an animal go more than 40-50 yds after the shot and all 1 shot kills.

Last edited by squirrel_slayer; 07-03-2019 at 12:59 PM.