View Single Post
Old 02-08-2021, 10:21 PM

Default 591 centerfire project

So after sending my 591 across the country to have it barreled and the action threaded...I was left with a basically ruined action. This was many years ago. For almost a decade this rifle hasn't actually fired a round successfully. It was a dormant project just waiting to surface. Well the time has come. I had decided I cannot ruin it anymore then it is, so I may as well try to make a functioning rifle. I have this 591 remington that has the action threaded, even though its too far, and a 20 cal barrel of unknown manufacturer.

So I chucked this little guy up and proceeded to open the loading port significantly, then I opened the mag well up alot. I figured I should add the extra action screw and drill and tap for scope bases. I figured it would look neat with a small recoil lug too,, so I made one. The bolt head was next. I couldn't find someone to copy a 581 centerfire bolt head that I already have so I figured I'd try my hand at this.....since I already had James calhoons drawings for a cf bolt head. Well, I did my best with what I have and I think it turned out pretty good. Just like James drawings show, I used an m16 firing pin and plunger ejector. I bought a chunk of 4140 5/8 ground and polished bar stock to make the head. Now I'm onto the magazine. I decided I want a 20 badger, or 20 garin so I happen to have a 19 badger case to use as a prop to fashion a magazine out of.....here is where I am..

Last edited by joejo; 02-08-2021 at 10:27 PM.