Thread: Rem. 600
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2019, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 410gauge View Post
AlbertaAl, Your Remington 600 brings back a lot of memories. I started with a 600 (paid less than $70 for it if I recall correctly) with the plastic ventilated rib in the 1960's in 6mm Remington. I hunted deer with it in heavy wooded areas. A great handling weapon. I shot the 85 gr (old style) Nosler Partition bullet, and it was excellent on the small deer we had in Louisiana. When I went to Alaska in the late 60's I had several 600's through the 660's that I used the actions to build some very accurate target rifles for that period of time. I did take a 660 magnum 350 and re-barrel it to a necked down version of that case. It was a 30-350 Magnum which I hunted deer with for 10 years on Kodiak Island. I put a Hart barrel on it and a McMillan hunter stock and had it black chromed. One could throw it in a creek for a week and it wouldn't rust...LOL! I shot a lot of deer with that old cannon. It was a great handling rifle in the alder patches. I've owned at one time or another about every cartridge they were chambered in except the .223 (which are very rare to find). I think you will really like it, but it's not easy to get a custom stock for them anymore...just like the XP-100. A great find! 410gauge
Thanks for sharing...
I've only recently gained an appreciation for these short barreled 600/660 models. I owned alot of REM 788's but they never gave me the warm feeling that these 600/660's provide.
There is actually no problem getting replacement stocks for these models from BOYD's, MICRO FIT...even McMILLAN
TIMNEY offers triggers ...the plastic bottom metal can be upgraded to metal by a supplier. I ordered a rail from NEAR mfg. There's no end to the monies can be spent upgrading these babies.
From the many internet reviews that I've read...I've never read a negative report regarding the great accuracy that these actions are capable