View Single Post
Old 12-09-2017, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17tbs View Post
Nope, just finished bullets. Can they be made quite heavy?

The other alternative question I have is what would a reduction die for a 0.008" radius reduction cost?
Hi 17tbs,
When it comes to the cost of a die thre are a few variables. Diameter, type of die, etc. For me exchange rate is a cost as well.
I have never reduced a finished projectile in diameter but you may come into trouble with brass spring back while the lead core does not.
D Corbin is the man to ask. Just google him and his company. Thre are a few others who may chime in on this topic.

Ref how heavy can you make them..my projectiles are straight walled and the longer I make them the more friction in the PF die, so there is a limit. There are 50gn projectiles out there. You will find that they have a few tapers on them, boat tail, rebated, long points etc. All this helps reducing friction in the PF die as well as improving flight quality. The amount of bearing surface on those long projectiles is quite small.

To S Slayer
Thanks for putting the pics in.
You are spot on, that is a 20gn Vmax. As you can see there is a bit of work involved. The draw trim die can save a lot of work though. The cut off saw and collet / drill press method also works when making short jackets for my 40gn round nose in .224"

Bill