View Single Post
Old 03-16-2020, 10:58 PM
Supporting Member

I’m not saying it is right or to do it... but I personally check/inspect every single 17 caliber RF round.

First visually... if I see a crack it goes into a pile and I shoot them in my bolt actions. They shoot good enough for a minute if a PD.

No visual signs of a crack then I do the push test. I hate this test because once the bullet pushes into the case it’s a waste. Some ammo like the A17 has enough powder in it that it won’t leak out any powder but I never shoot them for fear if hight pressure.

I agree that the early batches wrecked some auto loader but I thought it was pretty much determined that it wasn’t the powder but more that the pressure curve is so steep that there is little room for for error. I know for sure the very early hmr ammo was more consistent therefore able to set an auto loader up to function without error. And that’s why all the auto loaders came out and was shortly recalled because if the inconsistencies.

I’m working towards an another us to loader HMR right now in a 597 and expect another auto loading pistol back from the manufacture any day now.

I think the bottom line is people don’t get it. They’ll go spend $20 for a box of Vmax bullets and think nothing of it. But to spend $10 and a 50 round box of hm2 rim fire ammo is high way robbery... we did it to ourselves but that’s my lowly opinion.

I’m just very grateful the end result wasn’t a young shooter being injured. It up to us to help educate to keep them safe.