View Single Post
Old 09-15-2020, 01:44 PM

Martini's are my favorite. One shot at a time. One steady shot after another.

In the gopher patch, while I am shooting one shot after another, my shooting never stops, even when my shooting partners are stopped loading their magazines-especially the ones using 10-22's.

My late wife had a coffee can full of 10-22 Magazines It annoyed her to no end for me to shoot and shoot while she was loading, loading, loading. . She was known for ripping a mag out and tossing it at me and saying, "load that". I was known for dropping it back in her coffee can, empty and getting back to shooting, shooting...

One thing she learned early was that the extend 10-22 magazines always got in the way shooting. She tossed those very early in her gopher shooting days.

I did build her a 22K Hornet on a Mod4A for shooting rock chucks.

The new wife used my House gun a Savage 93R17, that I kept around for company. She likes it, and did shoot from the magazine-but she did keep her 4 magazines full. She really took a shine to my Mod 6 BSA Martini in 17 Hornady Hornet. I loaned it to her 5 or 6 years ago and she has never given it back. Come to think of it she hasn't returned the Savage either.

I noticed with one particular friend you could always tell when he missed, there would be a quick second shot, to which I would giggle loudly under my breath so he could hear me. He didn't miss often, but when he did it seem to go on for a number shots.

Even when I was shooting my bolt guns in the Varmint patch, I always shot them single shot.

The worse part of sharing this with you guys is it has been 2 years since I moved from Montana and sure miss gopher shooting.

Last edited by Double D; 09-16-2020 at 12:25 PM.