View Single Post
Old 04-02-2018, 12:34 AM

Default monolithic copper

a few years ago switched to using monolithic copper. The bullets draw was lack of shedding lead inside the deer, and an exit hole. A .243 may be nice on paper, but when a 100 grain bullet turns to dust inside a deer and merely leaves a half inch piece of jacket in the off side ribs, no blood trail, and long trailing an exit is nice...

However, I learned first hand that they don't have the shock value to the animal it hits. I have since seen accounts from professional animal shooters, I do mean shooters, from out west. The bullets can blow through at longer range then most soft points, but its like they don't do damage like a soft point.

I guess its even though they expand, they merely act like a .5 inch diameter screw driver getting stabbed into something, with the minimal damage being bleeding. While soft points hit, and make organs explode.

.223 is marginal no matter what I admit for things larger then 80 pounds. Soft points can do interesting damage but don't seem to give an exit hole either. Solid copper from barnes will penetrate and exit, but the tissue damage is still just like a knife/screw driver does.

150 grain solid copper HP from federal in a .308 at 30 yard hit can still give 4-500 yard trails to follow.

IS there a caliber that can use monolithic copper and actually be as effective as a 30-30 with 150 grain cor lokt?