View Single Post
Old 12-24-2014, 08:37 PM
Supporting Member

Congrats on the kill Foxhunter! Now ya started a topic that get's my blood pumping! Mostly I'm a meat hunter at this point but when it comes to just hunting for hunting sake that is really enhanced using a handgun IMO. I do love sneaky foot'n around the mountains trying to get within handgun range of dinner! I've hunted with a handgun for many years (a scary number of years really) but it is a real gas!!
To that end, we have a "Pistol Smith" who worked for Hamilton Bowen for a number of years then moved back home to White Sulfur Springs Montana about 95 miles from here. Ben Forkin is a real deal Pistol Smith on Ruger Revolver overhauls and a guy that can do that is a real rare commodity indeed in this part of the world, he's also one truly nice guy! Scroll down the page on this excerpt taken from "American Handgunner" and check out some of Ben's creations (love them Bisley's but I'm sure they are above my pay-grade).
http://americanhandgunner.com/web-blast-i-gotta-be-me/

Ben took a Ruger Redhawk I near stole from a buddy selling stuff quick before his wife got back off vacation and apprehended him spending a fair chunk a change on a high end HK handgun and a real high end FAL rifle he was lusting for, (he's divorced now don't'cha know?). At any rate Ben has built the fixtures to square the action and true it beautifully! He also added a 6 1/2 inch Pac-Nor barrel, A flat backed Bowen rear sight and he made a thick front post for old guy eyeballs . Mine is a hunting piece not a show stopper like a lot he makes. It is hell for stout with an excellent trigger and it's far more accurate than I am. It's a .44 Mag and my hunting load is a hard-cast, gas-checked 290 grain BRP bullet that looks quite a bit like Kieth designed it. It clocks right near exactly 1,350FPS, it hits a ton and right where ya aim it.

This is the first deer I shot with it the year I got it back.

This is the last, took him at 72 yards with my back up against a tree and the pistol braced between my knees Kieth fashion. It went in behind his shoulder at .44 caliber then left the other side at about .45 and was on into the hillside well behind him. There's been a goodly number in between those two, as well as one coyote and a small buck antelope (now that hunt was a hoot!).

I'm a conventional handgun big game hunter but I do like scopes on varmint handguns.
By the way ole Bud, where the heck are the pictures???
All the best Amigo.