View Single Post
Old 01-16-2015, 07:16 AM

Hello all. Im new here, but have read topics on this forum for a long time now. Great to be here with you all. Congrats to everyone on some great handgun harvested animals. Amazing shots
Figured Id make my first post on this topic cuz I really want to get into handgun hunting for the extra challenge it presents. Ive killed so many animals with a rifle, that I want to take it up a notch. So here's a tid bit on the gun I intend to use and a bit of testing I've done.

The gun I want to use is a Taurus Raging Bull 44 Mag with the 8 3/8" barrel that I bought a few years back just for this reason. Was planning on using it for river bottom does this last season, but just didn't work out with my free time. Love my Taurus. The trigger when the hammer is cocked is as nice as any gun out there and it's ridiculously accurate with the 300gr Hornady XTPs I use. I was messing a round one day sighting in a rifle at 100 yards and decided to try my 44 Mag at that distance since I happened to have it with me. Farthest I had shot it up til then was 50 yards and all though it grouped very well at 50, I wasn't expecting much accuracy at 100 yards being that it is a handgun and has open steel sights. So I rested it on some sand bags to get a good solid rest then took aim. The front sight was covering up about a 4" to 5" area on the center of the target at that distance, but I figured id try it anyway. I squeezed off two rounds. The dust cloud from htting the dirt beind the target was massive, so I could tell there was still a lot of energy at that range. I went up and found my 2 holes. One hit the top of the plywood, and one hit the top of the target paper, but they were less than 3" apart. So I thought it may be a fluke and I got lucky. So I adjusted the rear sight down two clicks and took extra careful aim as I squeezed off 3 more rounds. When I got to the target I was completely amazed and knew the last two shots were no fluke. All three shots were in the center of the target with a greatest spread of only 2.5". I can't wait to get this thing out hunting! You guys got me all pumped up now

Last edited by Ledd Slinger; 01-16-2015 at 07:19 AM.