View Single Post
Old 03-18-2019, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackdriver View Post
I'm leaning towards the Winchester Target look alike. I think I'm going to order a Douglas Premium Chrome Moly in Winchester Target contour. I'll go with a 12 twist to keep up with current bullets.

I'll also order a Marksman stock from Richards. I've actually ordered one previously for a FN short action build I did. It's going to be a wait to get it all together, but I have a spare stock to use in the meantime.

For scope mounting, I think I'm going to get the rear bridge drilled and tap as well as get the bolt bent. I put a unertl on it just to check and the bolt wouldn't clear it either. Of which, I get the barrel drilled and tapped for a unerl base.

Should be a fun one, albeit expensive and not the wisest thing to do.
Sounds like a plan. Since you asked for opinions, though, I will give you another...completely free of charge
If it were me, and I were not going the sleek sporter route, I would not drill the receiver bridge or alter the bolt handle; in other words, I would leave the action as original as possible, to preserve the M54 flavor as much as you can. With the new barrel, obviously you can alter away, but I have found I either stay close to original or go all out custom. The in-between-ers just seem like neither fish nor fowl, and I think most buyers would feel the same way.

Just my thoughts.

TBR