View Single Post
Old 10-02-2006, 05:12 PM

Default The .20 ca mould is a custom mould

Bill West had designed and Lee made for us. It is a double cavity mould only, but I suppose they'd make a 6 if ordered.
: All I'd need is a .20 neck/throater and sizer button as the AB hand dies will work just fine for a .20AB. The .17AB reamer will work as well.
: I use mostly WW metal, as our's is a bit harder than US wheelweights for some reason, coming out around 13 brinel. Hardened they will run about 32brinel.
: Note that any addition of tin to the wheelweights prevents 'over 30' hardening and with tin in the alloy, they age soften fairly rapidly, depending on how much tin is in there.
: An even better mix for really hard bullets is 50% pure lead and 50% wheelweights. There is still enough arsnic to kick off the hardening, and bullets of that allow will run up to 35 brinel, capable of handling 3,000fps with LBT Blue lube. Perhaps there are some others, I don't know of. Alox won't cut it at those speeds. Also, such a hard bullet becomes quite explosive on contact. I've not shot anything with them, just repeating what Harrison and Veral Smith have written. I'v eshot hardened bullets to only 2,800fps, but can attest to their accuracy at those speeds with LBT Blue lube.
Daryl