View Single Post
Old 05-16-2018, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johno View Post
Rick, its nice country mate what sort of pine tree are they? You got a nice stream close by with fat trout? Johno
Johno: Those trees are our desert junipers. They are basically a weed that grows everywhere in the western US, especially in semi-arid areas which our high desert is. The old ones (450 yrs old) are really knarley, twisted and rough. You see them in all the cowboy movies along with the ever-present sagebrush.

There are truly wonderful trout streams nearby too. See that mountain range in the background? That is the Cascade Mtns, loaded with high mountain lakes and streams. We have a major river that runs right through town with great trout fishing too...the Deschutes River.

Matt/17VLD: I know what you mean about taking your favorite .20 cal out. It was tough leaving my VT at home, and the only reason I did was that my Phoenix 221FB has QD studs on it for a bipod, that's the only reason she went out that day. I usually use my VT and my "chuck stake", but thought it'd be fun taking the Furball this time with a bipod. I missed my last shot at a HUGE chuck across a field that was very long.....should have dialed up at least one more click. Swore that I would have made the shot IF I had taken my VT instead. Good excuse for missing right?

My 20VT with the 'chuck stake':

I shoot my VT so much from the bench at rats, I'm loathe to drill the stock for QD studs, so the Phoenix will serve that purpose thank you. Again, good to have choices.