View Single Post
Old 03-15-2019, 04:28 PM

Default Squeaks Snuffed in the Snow

I spent a few hours yesterday afternoon and stopped and talked with a local rancher that allows me access to shoot. I dropped off a case of beer (as a thank you), shot the breeze for a few, then started work on continuing the break-in of one of my new Kimber longmaster classic 223 rifles.

I Killed around 40 squeaks on the snow, longest shot a lasered 285 yards.
Shooting Fiocchi Factory 50gr V max loads, because they are $.035 delivered and they shoot almost as good as reloads.

Had a nice few hours in that field. Not many squeaks out due to lack of feed and frozen, crunchy snow covering the entire 150 acre parcel. In a few weeks, it will turn on. I did however, manage to get a sunburn on the left side of my face. The bright sun on the snow was blinding.

Then, I went over to meet up with my dad in his hometown. I spent a few hours with the Kimber Montana shooting rocks and confirming my "dope" from 150 out to 600 yards.

I have a Leupold VX Freedom 3-9 on the Kimber Montana with a MOA Reticle that has hash marks for holdover, spaced an even 1 MOA apart, with 20 MOA hold over lines in total. Great scope. 13 MOA hash mark is dead nuts at 600 yds with the Factory Fiocchi 50gr Vmax load.

I was able to kill two squeaks with the montana........two for two.

All in all, a long over due, start to the spring. Next week is in the mid 50's......wooooohooooo!!!

Last edited by Screaminweasil; 03-15-2019 at 07:43 PM.