View Single Post
Old 07-08-2017, 09:14 AM

Default Had to have a go.

So I could hear these plastic tips calling me from the reloading shed and so could not help myself and had to have a go fitting them to my 17 cal projectiles. I did not have a lead tipping die and just wanted to see if they fit the jackets nicely. I only did 20 and I already had the cores seated so it was just a point forming process. I am using Larry Backmon dies in a D Corbin S type press.
To start it was a bit of a process! I tried to point form them to a point where the point was just closed enough so that the stem of the plastic tip was a push fit into the projectile and then finish the point forming to secure the plastic tip and get the final diameter.
This proved tricky but possible and with a bit of practice and die setting they came out of the die nicely. Just as a bit of a trial I then just dropped a tip into the die, point down, and then just point formed them as usual. Being a 17 cal die, the tip could not tumble around in the PF die and slid down to the bottom of the die in the correct orientation. As the point was formed on the projectile it gripped the stem of the tip and jacket/tip fit was perfect. No issues at all!
Only drama is the ejection pin had to push on the tip of the plastic and so flattened it a little. A lead tipping type punch may work better with no distortion to the tip, but my process worked fine and the fit from jacket to tip was perfect with the correct diameter of the projectile being achieved.
Posting pictures seems to be a bit of an issue at the moment with my slow satellite speeds. Will try later.

Bill