View Single Post
Old 05-20-2020, 12:51 AM

Default Case forming 6mm TCU

Morning all,

Have myself a fine little Tikka M55 at the gunsmith having a 24” 1:10 twist 6mm TCU fitted.

This is my first ever wildcat (or pussy perhaps in the case of the TCU?)

Have a 3 piece Redding die set ordered.

A couple of simple questions on case forming please.

1. Which die do I use to expand the necks from 224 to 6mm - the full length or neck size only die (told you I was a virgin)

2. Whichever die it is - will the ‘expander plug’ be tapered, or will I have to purchase/fit and tapered expander?

3. If it’s the full length resizing die - do you need to ‘back out’ the die so it does the neck only, or is it ok just to full length resize the brass. Incidentally - I’ll be using brand new 223 cases to form the TCU cases.

4. The internet views of ‘crush fit’, false neck, touching the lands is contradictory and confusing - for my mind I’m simply firing a 6x45 in an improved chamber (TCU) - don’t overthink it and just load the case as normal. Advice please.

That should be it for the moment - but I’m sure to be back and report on progress (and have some pictures) as I take this crazy ride.

Oh, she will be a general purpose rifle that will see duty as a walk about rifle for goats, pigs, Fox, wild dogs, rabbits etc.

Last edited by jawry; 05-20-2020 at 01:00 AM. Reason: Spelling