Thread: 20/250
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2017, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 410gauge View Post
steve123, a very interesting comment about the bolt-face on the RFD. Opened up the bolt-face .003" to work the Lapua brass a little better. Could barely cut it with a carbide tool. Squealed like a pig. Seemed harder than the hubs of h--l! I've had a couple of light firing pin strikes. Changing primers to see if that helps. Only have (16) rds through it, so I'm kinda feeling my way along. Haven't seen any peening of the bolt-face so far. It's been a interesting project. As I'm sure you are well aware (having owned a couple of them)...it takes some pretty good concentration just to get the bolt into the receiver. A very smooth action in my opinion. Thanks for the info. 410gauge
Back then, It could be that the pressures that the 6x47l cases could handle caused the problem I had??? It's VERY!!! hard to tell when to stop putting more powder in because the primers were only slightly flat and no ejector smear/no ejector present, and bolt not sticky yet. Later on, when I bought a chrono, that load was 3250 fps/105gr out of a 29" barrel, so pretty high pressure.

When I wanted a repeater for tactical matches I sold them. I bought a M700 and had to back off pressure until I got Gre-tan to bush the bolt, then back to higher pressure with 115's at 3000 fps.

My load now is at 3172 fps in a 28" using a Mausingfield action. The Mausingfields have a super hard bolt head so I don't expect problems.

With 22-250 brass, the brass will let you know about pressure sooner than the x47L brass will so you'll probably be fine.

But that's interesting the RFD bolt was hard, maybe he used harder steel once he realized there was a problem, don't know.

Yes, other than that the RFD's were a nice action. Bob, not so much.