View Single Post
Old 04-15-2019, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy G View Post
I'm up in Canada so I should be able to get Hornady, Sierra, and Berger bullets in the 39 and 40gr flavors. The cost to import other heavier bullets is really not an option.

Of the three bullets I can get, my research suggests the Berger would be the best fur bullet followed by the Sierra a distant second.

I was thinking that if could not get to 4100fps with a 20BR I would consider going to the BRAI but that is as big as I would go as I thought the 20BR would already be beyond the practical limit of performance versus barrel life.
I have a buddy that used the 40 grain Berger out of a 20 Extreme on coyotes and said they did a great job - very little sewing. Last year they shot 75 dogs and got top dollar from his fur buyer, this year .... it seems they cleaned them out last year as they only got a dozen this year.

The gun was built for the 55's so has an eight twist. The 40's work fantastic in it though anything lighter they just don't work. Not sure on the velocity but don't think it quite gets to 4000. 37-39000 is what I am thinking but haven't tested.

I'm with you on trouble finding bullets. If I could figure out the how to's and costs I'd look at trying to bring some of these other bullets up. But, of course, it has to be cost effective. A guy can put up with a little extra but $25 a box or more is getting too much. The last box of Berger 55's I believe I paid around $40. I inquired about bringing in some Black Hole bullets and was quoted $75 a box. He doesn't ship them to Canada himself, that was having a Canadian outfit bring them up. For that cost I guess I'll stick with 40 grain.....