Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 11-21-2017, 08:22 PM

I'm playing with a .223 based wildcat called the .223 short it's about midways between the tcm and fireball. I'm getting 3264 ft/sec avg from a 18" barrel with a 40gr v-max and 13.5gr of lil gun.

The developer and I are awaiting Dave Kiff to sign off on our reamer print to get a new reamer cut called the 22 Mamba. its basically an improved .223 short. same 1.125" case length but going to have a 30' shoulder, a blown out case with less taper and shoulder blown forward a hair. I also requested some throat changes between a "match" chamber and .223 wylde.

I also made an AR barrel in the short and got an amazing 2789 ft/sec avg from a 6" barrel! these numbers still seem a little high and I'm going to re-test using my cousins lab radar this weekend. primers, web expansion all look perfect.

Noticed you won an AZ air rifle comp. do you live in AZ?

I plan on trying the 53gr nosler varmageddon with its high bc for weight should compliment the cartridge well if I can keep velocity up.

brass is made with a single pass through the die, cut off excess, chamfer, expand neck, trim, debur, load and shoot.

later in time were talking about doing the same cartridges in 17 and 20 cal.

Last edited by squirrel_slayer; 11-21-2017 at 08:25 PM.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel_slayer View Post
I'm playing with a .223 based wildcat called the .223 short it's about midways between the tcm and fireball. I'm getting 3264 ft/sec avg from a 18" barrel with a 40gr v-max and 13.5gr of lil gun.

The developer and I are awaiting Dave Kiff to sign off on our reamer print to get a new reamer cut called the 22 Mamba. its basically an improved .223 short. same 1.125" case length but going to have a 30' shoulder, a blown out case with less taper and shoulder blown forward a hair. I also requested some throat changes between a "match" chamber and .223 wylde.

I also made an AR barrel in the short and got an amazing 2789 ft/sec avg from a 6" barrel! these numbers still seem a little high and I'm going to re-test using my cousins lab radar this weekend. primers, web expansion all look perfect.

Noticed you won an AZ air rifle comp. do you live in AZ?

I plan on trying the 53gr nosler varmageddon with its high bc for weight should compliment the cartridge well if I can keep velocity up.

brass is made with a single pass through the die, cut off excess, chamfer, expand neck, trim, debur, load and shoot.

later in time were talking about doing the same cartridges in 17 and 20 cal.
Yes, I live in the Flagstaff AZ area.

Your 22 wildcat is just about right for what I'm after so please keep me posted on your progress.

I don't come here to Saubier much unless I get excited about a small caliber like I am now. So please email me at shmonty03@aol.com
Old 11-29-2017, 02:48 PM

Default Mikie

Hey Mike,

Massaging isn't working again???

Thanks so much for those brass samples you sent me, those are such neat little cartridges!!!!!!!!!

I had a weird thought! Why not try my FN PS90 on those steel for the fun of it???

For the bolt gun build I'm leaning towards 20 cal. The extra energy and bullet mass will make self spotting easier.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:59 PM
Supporting Member

Steve:
I DID get your message (both of them) so things are working like they're suppose to.
Old 11-29-2017, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve123 View Post
Hey Mike,

Massaging isn't working again???

Thanks so much for those brass samples you sent me, those are such neat little cartridges!!!!!!!!!

I had a weird thought! Why not try my FN PS90 on those steel for the fun of it???

For the bolt gun build I'm leaning towards 20 cal. The extra energy and bullet mass will make self spotting easier.

Hey Steve
If you are not getting what you need from your Massaging, you should look for a new Masseuse!

Just kidding...Or, maybe....

Is'nt Spellcheck a Great Humbler...it certainly is for me...

Bill
Old 11-30-2017, 12:11 AM

Ha, that's the way it goes sometimes!

Mike, I just wanted to make sure you knew I appreciated what you did.
Old 11-30-2017, 01:33 PM
Supporting Member

Steve:
Appreciation noted. And, you are more than welcome. At least now you can see what some of us are talking about. A case in the hand =...

Maybe you should mention the long range shooting you were doing? I bet the guys would REALLY like to hear about that. Curious about the calibers.

Last edited by Nor Cal Mikie; 11-30-2017 at 01:36 PM.
Old 11-30-2017, 04:18 PM

Steve
I would like to hear about your long range shooting endeavors!
Bill
Old 12-01-2017, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve123 View Post
Thanks Bill,

I didn't realize 17HH heated a barrel that fast. Frequent cleaning too? I'm learning from you guys.

20 Vartarg doesn't heat a barrel as fast as the 17HH, or about the same?

Anybody try the 55gr Bergers in the 20 VT?

221 fireball isn't looking to bad after all.
thin barrels do heat up quick but cool down quick as well heavy bull barrels heat up slower but take longer to cool down it a choice only you can make how many re-loads can you do with hornet brass ?? it depends on how close to max you load the more you stress the case with top loads the quicker it will deteriorate i am using only 11grs of 120 for 3.650ft/sec (17 ackly hornet ) and get 15/20 or more re-loads from each case and still counting the only cases i lose are lost in the grass after that quick second shot but i anneal after every loading
Old 12-01-2017, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by william t. oviatt View Post
Steve
I would like to hear about your long range shooting endeavors!
Bill
Here's my latest. The good and the bad.

I got invited to shoot Extreme Long Range/ELR last weekend near Las Vegas with a guy I became acquainted with on another forum. After 10 years it was nice to meet him in person finally!

Anyway we go out to the desert to his semi secret spot. There's a sandy dead end road that goes halfway up a large hill. He set a 3/4 IPSC steel target out for us to shoot at. It's approx 16"x21" including the head. He had it painted orange.

Our first volley was at 1895 yards. I was shooting my Surgeon XL in 30-375R which sends 225 grain ELDM's at 2935 fps. Other cartridges present right then were a 6.5 Creed, 7 Saum and a 338 LapuaAI.
I managed 4 hits in 15 shots which was the most out of all of us, the others got it 1-2 times, even the 6.5 guy got it once.

Then we backed up to 2100Y. I got it 3 times and a few other guys got it once. The 6.5 guy didn't hit it. We fired approx 20 rounds each.

Then we went to 1430Y because I wanted to try my 6x47L. It sends 105 grain Berger hybrids at 3172 fps. I missed the first and second shot but hit it the next 3 times. Surprisingly the guys with the bigger guns didn't have as much success or I should say it took them twice as many shots to connect. I tried with my 30-375R and hit it a few times. My 6x47 is very accurate!

We went out the next morning. Things went horribly wrong for me unfortunately!!! At the same distances the vertical component was bad, almost a full mils worth so around 50". Long story short I think the barrel is heaving it's last with it's 1500 rounds down the tube.

Could be my S&B scope too, or both. The rifle was a 1/2 moa rifle before I left and now it's grouping at 1". I shot at 1122Y on Wednesday and had some big flyers.

A half good and half bad endeavour this time. Such is life, aye???

I didn't get a chance to mount a scope on the PS90 but will report back.

Last edited by steve123; 12-01-2017 at 11:42 PM.