Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-07-2017, 11:42 AM

In addition, most 147gr 9mmm ammo is subsonic, so the muzzle blast is not so bad as with the +P 125gr or 124gr.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:41 PM

This is another one of those "Personal Preference" Subjects and requires a lot of patience from the "crowd" while the info goes in the mind of the Questioner, and He/She makes a decision best for them.

Personally, a Wheel-gun is a far better choice in a Self-Protection choice, because of the many scenarios that are possible.

A semi-auto requires a clear field about itself to allow proper function. This leaves many issues possible to prevent a first fire, or, repeated fire of the weapon. The weapon of first response, to me should allow for as many positive operating/functioning conditions as possible...if there is just too many what-if's, it is a poor choice.

If I need more fire-power, that is the job of the quickly accessible pistol: to fight off the immediate, and allow me to go for the shotgun or rifle that may be needed further.

One needs to prepare for the Adrenalin rush of a threat and not put themselves or family members in a mode of trying to remember how to operate or keep clothing/hands away from the moving parts of a semi-auto.
(This is TOTALLY my feelings on this. I love my semi-autos, too. But, not as a first response piece).

A revolver's operation is straight forward and instinctive in its operation and requires a LOT less concentration on its requirements to function correctly.

I have both types of firearms (a 410 Judge & a 1911) close for access...but the order I grab one will always be the Judge first.

As I said, this is a VERY Personal choice! One needs to feel comfortable with that choice. If there is ANY Second guessing, or questioning that choice, it is probably not the best solution.

It's worth the questioning of other's experiences and put yourself in as many possibilities, mentally, to feel the greatest level of confidence in a choice of weapon(s).

Good Luck!

Respectfully,

Bill
Old 12-07-2017, 01:55 PM
Supporting Member

Either of these make for a very simple but effective self defense firearm for the home, IMO. Simplicity in a time of crisis is a very effective weapon. Just pull the trigger.

Granted you don't have an entire magazine to expend, but extra fire power in a home defense weapon is not a complete necessity like it is in a military situation. Being prepared to use force quickly and efficiently negates a need for a large magazine of ammo. A double action revolver is about as simple as it gets........... Especially for anyone with disabilities, or for a lady in the home.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/model-638

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearm...ries-model-642

JMO - BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 12-07-2017, 02:03 PM
Banned

Default Shotgun

My bad guy gun for in the house is a single shot 12ga with high brass 6s!
Old 12-07-2017, 02:03 PM

Much of my opinions on a First Response weapon come from my Father-in-Law.

Cath's (Wife) Dad (a Marine) taught Pistol Proficiency at the the OCS at Annapolis, MD, and his preference in a pistol at home, was a 38 S&W.

He saw how Adrenalin affected many capable men, in tense moments of Life & Death conditions. K.I.S.S. was his mantra! (He taught Cath how to shoot a pistol well, and she could out shoot me, easily, when we would have Rat Shooting Dates at the town dump in High School!~!!)

This is also the idea behind most choices of hunters/guides and hikers here in the mountains of Wyoming, where there is a very strong possibility of a grizzly encounter.

Most snicker when they see a youngster in the mountains with a semi-auto at his side. A wheel-gun just cannot be outdone in trusting it to function in many more possibilities than a semi-auto.

Again, JMHO on this subject..and what works for me....

Respectfully,

Bill

Last edited by william t. oviatt; 12-07-2017 at 02:07 PM.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:14 PM
Banned

Default Shotgun

You got get good with a hand gun and we all know what that means! You point a shotgun. Remington 2 3/4 Nitto mag 6s in the face and it's all over that quick!
Old 12-07-2017, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat cat View Post
You got get good with a hand gun and we all know what that means! You point a shotgun. Remington 2 3/4 Nitto mag 6s in the face and it's all over that quick!
I would never trust my life to #6 shot. just not enough mass to penetrate vitals.

as for the shot to the face and it's all over. have you patterned your gun with said load at an across the room distance? I think you'll be quickly surprised how tight the patter will be.

I challenge you to take it a step further go out into the boonies with a buddy at night have him put up 2 paper plates one a BG and the other a friendly on a stake/tree ect... while you have your back turned about 25 yards out. then have your buddy guide you in to shooting position do a 25 yard jog to elevate you heart rate and jack your breathing up. then with the same light you'd use if you heard a bump in the night, see if you can ID, engage and shoot that paper plate (aka the face) in under 2 seconds.

I'd bet you'll either take a lot longer than 2 seconds which would mean your in a active gunfight by that point if the perp were armed. or you'll miss the mark.

do you think #6 even at point blank range is going to penetrate the skull and shut down the threat? I wouldn't count on it. yes it would make a mess of someone and the sheer energy dump may snap the neck but again I wouldn't count on it. I wouldn't trust anything less than MAYBE #1 but for me it's 00 buck 9 pellet federal with flite control wad. which I know from my gun patterns under 1" at across the room distances and maybe 3"-5 at the furthest point in my home.

that being said a shotgun is not my first choice either.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:07 PM
Banned

Default Shotgun

Squirrel slayer Son you watch to much TV! Down here in Arkansas we are born with shotguns in are hands! I don't have to do any testing !!! That's funny!!!
Old 12-07-2017, 07:38 PM

Can I ask is it the weight of the pistol, the recoil, or the challenge of racking the slide? The reason I ask is a Glock 19 or 17 is easy to rack, the recoil is easy to handle in 9mm they hold 15 rounds depending on what state you live in. Just a thought
"I came that they may have life and have it abundantly" John 10:10
Old 12-07-2017, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat cat View Post
Squirrel slayer Son you watch to much TV! Down here in Arkansas we are born with shotguns in are hands! I don't have to do any testing !!! That's funny!!!
nope not a tv watcher. but I've done my fair share of paintballing in my youth as well as incorporating a lot of movement and stress into my shooting regimen. standing in front of paper/steel or sitting at a bench is very different than dynamic shooting exercises.

I was very surprised when I did my first training class how much dumb stuff/fumbling you do when even a slight amount of stress, elevated heart rate, and disrupted breathing is induced. and that stress is just simply competing against yourself or peers against the clock. I can only imagine how much more intense it can be when faced with a real life and death situation.

Your welcome to your opinion. I just feel it's not sound advice to be giving as their is plenty of data to prove that. anywho back on track now. sorry for thread derail OP, do apologize Swift220.