Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Bullet Making

Old 12-06-2017, 11:15 PM

Default 17 cal bullets from 22lr cases now with photos

I'm considering making myself a set of dies to make 17 caliber jackets and ultimately 17 caliber bullets from fired 22lr cases. I didn't want to take over an hijack Markd's thread so I figured i'd start a new one.

Hopefully Bills Shed will chime in and help enlighten us with his methods and steps to make his bullets as he has a setup to do this.

Last edited by squirrel_slayer; 12-09-2017 at 05:25 PM. Reason: update title
Old 12-07-2017, 08:11 AM

Default Making 17 cal jackets

Hi S Slayer,
As you have posted previously making the jacket from 22LR cases is a viable option. It is just another draw step. Getting the jackets to the right length is another story.
I posted this previously but I will put it here again for ease of reading.

I have a couple of methods to get the correct length of jacket. The first one is to cut the LR case shorter in a small cut off saw using a small jig that I built and it indexes off the rim. This will get it close to desired length but be a little rough and not perfectly square. I make my projectiles in batches of 1100. This step takes about 2 seconds each. The case is then derimmed as per normal. Cases are then annealed at 500 deg C for 30 minutes in a small kiln. This is not so hot as to make them red but to just change colour to a silver. The cases are annealed enough to be squashed by fingers but not dead soft either. Kiln is pre heated, tray of jackets inserted, kiln gets back to temp and then the clock starts.
Cases are then drawn down in a .170" D Corbin draw die and then trimmed in a collet setup that I built. It is a Forster bullet puller inverted with the face machined off so the collet is flush with its mounting. This mounting is bolted to the table of a drill press and the final trim to length is done with a end mill. It sounds cumbersome and it is to a degree but it is solid, reliable, repeatable, square and infinitely variable to make what ever length jacket you want. It is good for .002". This final trim takes about 5 seconds. Jackets are then tumbled in SS pins....note. Make sure the pins are of the correct diameter or they will fill those little 17 cases up and you will never get them out... Been there, done it!
Second method is to get a draw / trim die. I now run a D Corbin ET-1 which is NOT a push through style but has a ejection pin on top which pushes the jacket back out the bottom of the die after the trim. The idea is to hit this ejection pin with a mallet. That process is not much fun at all and very slow. ( Not my idea, Dave sold it to me like this. He said the push through was problematic and this would be better). To counter this I built an ejection arm that mounts to my press and pushes down on the ejection pin when the press handle is raised. The press is a D Corbin CSP1, which has 2 positions for the handle. This ejection system mounts in this spare hole. Still takes about 5 seconds to make the jacket but there is no initial cutting of the case, no stand alone draw step or trim step and is a lot less manual handling.
Only draw back is that it makes only one length jacket per punch length. I got Dave to build two punches for the die so that I only needed to change punches to to get a different jacket length. Punches are pretty cheap and I could not build them for the price he charges. Jackets come out of the die ready for core seating.
I have not included the cleaning or lube processes as most have their own methods and qty and when they do it.
My projectiles have been tested in a 17-222 at 4300+ Everything has made it to the target so far. Mine are just FBOT projectiles. Smallest is 17gn and heaviest is a 25gn...but any weight is possible....within reason.

Bill

Last edited by Bills Shed; 12-11-2017 at 08:02 AM.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:54 AM

Default Open tips

I do not have a lead tipping die and all projectiles I have built are open tipped. All have a small air gap between the lead core and the tip.
A 17gn HMR sized projectile needs a tiny .405" jacket and you will still have about .075" air gap. I have made a 17gn as long as .525" long but this crumpled at the lead line when point forming but this was overcome by just putting a small piece of cork(wine bottle) into the jacket and then point formed. These were like darts and the cork supported the inside of the jacket without drama. These shot a .188" group with four rounds. The fifth blew it out to .684" This shows that you do not need a expensive jacket to hunt small critters.
I later found that a case, unannealed, does not need this support and point formed ...OK. Unannealed jackets do not tend to be as accurate and point forming can be a bit hit and miss at times as well as getting undersized diameters by .0004".

Bill
Old 12-07-2017, 11:21 AM

thanks again Bill. I was actually wanting that air gap your mentioning like a lapua scenar. any chance you have any pictures of your bullets and maybe a drawn jacket pre-trimmed?

I can PM you my email if you would like for me to host the pictures and save you the hassle.

I do appreciate your help in this,

George
Old 12-07-2017, 04:14 PM

Hey,

Is there any chance you can share some photos of your end result?

How much would you think it would take to reduce a bullet in radius 0.004" ?
Old 12-07-2017, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17tbs View Post
Hey,

Is there any chance you can share some photos of your end result?

How much would you think it would take to reduce a bullet in radius 0.004" ?
Hi 17TBS,
I am not sure what you mean by this. Point form radius?
Bill

Ps. I am in the middle of hay season at the moment and will only get to my iPad in the evening or early morning. Very busy time of year.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:24 PM

Default photos

Nope, just finished bullets. Can they be made quite heavy?

The other alternative question I have is what would a reduction die for a 0.008" radius reduction cost?
Old 12-09-2017, 12:08 AM

Bill was kind enough to send some photo's of his process. i'll go ahead and share this info for all to see.

Pictured from Left to right, 22LR case, derimmed and drawn to .220", and then drawn to .169" diameter. Jacket is just over .900" long....23.4mm
.22 mag case, derimmed in 6mm derim die, drawn through a .220" derim die and then drawn down to .169" diameter. Jacket is just over 1.675"...45mm for those who are metric orientated.
17 HH round, 22 Hornet, 20gn FBOT, and a 69gn FBOT.
Yes, I used to much lube when making the 69gn, the dimples in the nose is caused by too much lube in the PF step. Better to much lube than a stuck projectile. Still shoot sub MOA though!
Old 12-09-2017, 12:13 AM

this next one i'll post what I think is going on. Bill correct me if i'm wrong.

from left to right

22lr case, trimmed case, derimmed case, untrimmed case swaged down to 17 cal, trimmed case swaged to 17 cal, lead wire, swaged lead core, jacket with seated core, 17 gr bullet finished, 25gr bullet finished?
Old 12-09-2017, 12:15 AM

Bill is that a 20gr v-max? guessing 17, 20, and 25gr bullets?

Last edited by squirrel_slayer; 12-09-2017 at 12:19 AM.