Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 10-28-2013, 06:17 PM

Default .220 Swift Ackley Improved?

Anyone have experience with one? I just placed an order through match grade machine for one and would like insight? I already have a standard swift and love if however it feeds finicky from my remington, so this time were building it on an encore.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:39 PM

I had one years ago, I still had trouble with it feeding in a bolt gun due to the rim, it shot great I didn't see much improvement over the standard other than the cases didn't stretch as much. I think Weatherby did on for a while called the 220 Weatherby rocket.

Bob
Old 10-28-2013, 07:18 PM
Supporting Member

Default 220ai

I have 2, first one's built on a pre64 mdl 70 action with a fast twist Shilen 1-8" barrel and wood thumbhole stock. I get approx. 250fps more out of it, not sure that's enough to justify it if your looking for more speed, which I wasn't. Flip side my brass doesn't grow and with a custom chamber tolerances are less. Dies are hard to find short of bending over and waiting for custom ordered sets.

Second one is on a Winchester push feed action with a Wilson 1-14" and HS stock. Both are what I would call jinky feeders, if your in a hurry forget it. As for loading for it just start at a max 220S load and go forth from there. Owning both 220S's and the AI versions I feel it's really one of those chambering's that you have to make up a reason for having one. But don't worry, you'll get plenty of support here for this kind of project.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:35 PM

I currently have a pair of 220 AI chambered rifles.

The first is a Winchester pre64 controlled feed type that has been rebarreled with a 14 twist Shilen select match 5.5 taper barrel. If it has feeding problems, I do not know what they are. Has enough weight for me to be halfway steady.

The second is a left hand Remington 700 with a 223 type standard taper factory barrel(no irons) reamed to 220 AI. The funky finish and lettering was not fun to remove, but once off looks more like a barrel. Feeding in this one is not always smooth unless you pay attention to the stackup in the magazine of cartridges.

The swift is kinda semi rimmed, so paying attention to the stackup in the magazine is a help I think. Just my own opinion. My opportunities for second etc shots is not that great where I get to hunt.

My reason to have a 220AI, is that I wanted a pair. I need no other requirement to do something.

The AI will keep the case stretch down and get a bit more velocity. I really do not hotrod the cases myself anymore, standard swift speeds are quite enough in my own environment.

I have thought about a tight twist, big bullet, type 220 AI; but no barrels like that under the couch yet; so have to be content with the 50-52 gr types at fair velocity.......tis ok with me.

I use a larger caliber rifle for coyotes, so the 50-ish gr type bullet in a 220 is all that I needed.

Watch Ebay, Gunbroker, local gunshows for the dies for the 220 AI. I got my die set for 40 dollars on ebay, so just keep looking I reckon; if the new ones puts you off.

I like the 220 AI, likewise I like the original 220 swift as well; the original is still the one to beat..........
Old 10-29-2013, 03:22 AM

I will be interested in finding out if you have problems with vertical stringing with the break action. That always seems to be the single biggest problem especially with bottle neck cases. Larry
Old 10-29-2013, 11:20 AM
Supporting Member

I have one built on a military Mauser and it feeds just fine, as previously mentioned in this thread, proper stacking of the cartridges does make a difference in how they feed. As for a follow up shot with a Swift, I can't recall ever needing one. The AI has a Shilen with a 14 twist tube and the Rem. (standard Swift) has a 12 twist Hart. Both rifles shoot close to bench rifle accuracy. The Blonde in the fore ground is the AI and the synthetic stocked one is a 40X.
I found my seating die on Ebay for $12.00 (an old B&M Wilson type die) and ordered the sizing die directly from Redding (which they had in stock) but if IIRC it was a little over a hundred bucks. Both my rifles love the 52 grn. Amax bullets and they are plenty destructive on varmints. If you are the experimental type the chronograph reading shown is with a 30 grn. pill from the AI Have fun, it's a great cartridge...
Aaron

Last edited by long shot; 10-29-2013 at 11:22 AM.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:08 PM

Interesting, I bought a reamer from Dave Kiff and re-chambered my .220 Swift to the AckIMP version. I gained nothing in speed, just got to use a few gr. more powder to match the standard chamber, which gave my just over 4,050fps with 50gr. Sierra's - 26" bl.

I did set the barrel back at one point for a 1.5", short SwiftIMP, which was actually the first .22 PPC, I've read. I use .22 PPC dies, which could be used for neck sizing your .220 Swift Ack.IMP ammo, while you are waiting for .220 Swift AckIMP dies.

Outside neck diameters are all over the map on the IMP Swift, so check that as well.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:24 PM

Trooterlg I have not had trouble with vertical stringing in our encores thus far. however we have hanger bars installed on all our barrels.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:27 PM

I guess I should mention I ordered a 1-8" twist to shoot 65gr Sierra Gamekings. I'm not looking for blazing speed, just less time in front of the case trimmer!
Old 10-30-2013, 10:23 AM
Supporting Member

I have a trued Rem with all the other stuff done, sleeved bolt and firing pin. Mine is a 8 twist from shilen. I think you need to go up in burn rate to get more FPSS from this. I am using Magpro with a 70g VLD Berger and getting almost 3500 out of it. My windy day prairie dog gun.