Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2013, 09:53 PM

Default 17 Remington

I tried 25 gr. V-max bullets in my Shilen DGA chambered in 17 Remington yesterday. Bullet holes in paper indicated possible stabilization prioblems because the holes were oblonged. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
Old 11-11-2013, 11:43 PM
Supporting Member

If you have a 10 twist, that could be the problem.

Have you shot these bullets in the past? Kenny

I pride myself in being able to make decisions with little information.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:20 AM

Default 17 Remington

This is the first I have tried the 25 gr. V-Max; it shot Chan Nagel's 35 25 gr.
T-000 into one-hole using Varget and BR-4's.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:54 AM
Supporting Member

The bullet weight is only one part of the puzzle. Kenny

I pride myself in being able to make decisions with little information.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:24 PM

I had the exact same thing happen with a bullberry .17 Jet. It was a 10 twist. 25 gr HP's worked fine but the vmax weren't stable.

Aaron
Old 11-12-2013, 03:17 PM

If you have a barrel that will shoot them- they are super - less drift and drop - but that is due to the .230 to .235BC and they seem to need quicker than 10" twists, although some will shoot them, apparently. The typical 25gr. HP's run BC's back in the under .200 range, normally.

A barrel maker I knew, said he could influence the rate of twist up to 1/2" while the button was running through the barrel. Seems this would be wonderful, if evenly done in the lest few inches of the barrel's length.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:38 PM

Same here 17A/H from ,a Pacnor tube with 25gr V/Max shotgun patern but 25gr Hornady sub 1/2" its a 10 twist. Wally
Old 11-12-2013, 09:11 PM
Supporting Member

It is very likely the length of the V-Max that is causing the problems in the 10" twist barrel. I'm betting that it will shoot the shorter 25 grain HP pretty well.

As for the BC numbers between the two, I've used the 25 grain HP in a lot of different 17 Remington rifles over the years, and I've never had a coyote out run the HP bullet due to a poor BC. Nor have I ever felt I missed a coyote inside 35-400 yards due to a poor BC on the part of the bullet.

JME - BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 11-13-2013, 04:42 AM

bumtownbuch: I have been shooting a CZ 527 Varminter in 17 REM for several years now. And all I have ever shoot out of it are 20gr & 25gr 17cal V-MAX`S and Hornady 17 cal 25gr HP`s. All three of these bullets shoot just great IMHO. I am getting 1/2in or less groups at a 100yds with all three bullets. And all three of these bullets shoot to about the same POI. I like this little rifle more everytime I shoot it. I use H-4895 power all the time, and WIN, REM, or CCI standard SRP`s wich ever one I can fine, I can`t really see any difference between them. I should have bought this rifle years ago, sure missed out on alot not having one. Coyotes are the largest Varmintes I shoot with my 17 REM, but it has been DRT for me on most of the Coyotes I have shot with it. I have yet to lose a wounded one yet. And I still can`t get over being able to spot for my self. My 17REM will kill Coyotes,PD`S and Ground Hogs alot further than most people will belive. And it bucks the wind alot better than most people will belive also. Good luck on sloving you problem.
ken
Old 11-13-2013, 05:34 PM

I had similar problems with the 25gr V-Max bullet in our Remington 700 using a 1-10" Twist. However it would stabilize 25gr HP's jsut fine It may depend on the barrel quality as well. However our new 17 Remington has a 1-9" and shoots the 25gr V-Max excellent. Good luck.