Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 08-29-2019, 02:36 PM

Default Rechambering with a hand-held reamer?

Has anyone recut a chamber (not a virgin re-chamber, but an improved cartridge) using a hand reamer? Can it be done and end up with a precise, clean chamber?

TIA,

Jordan
Old 08-29-2019, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
Has anyone recut a chamber (not a virgin re-chamber, but an improved cartridge) using a hand reamer? Can it be done and end up with a precise, clean chamber?

TIA,

Jordan
Have knows some smiths to do this. But they do it slow and easy, checking often on the improved chamber fitting. Bill K
Old 08-29-2019, 04:53 PM
Supporting Member

I believe it is normal when going to an improved cartridge to set the barrel back a thread or two because the improved cartridge uses a slightly shorter headspace guage.
Old 08-29-2019, 05:09 PM

If the cartridge is a rimmed case then it should work fine, however, if it is a rimless case the barrel should be set back to achieve proper headspace.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:06 PM

I know a couple guys that have hand reamed their chambers and they re-throat them by hand with a Uni-throater as well.

I'm all for saving money where you can and I can certainly appreciate wanting to do your own thing, but for me, I'll just pay the price and leave that kind of work to my gunsmith.
Old 08-29-2019, 10:38 PM
Supporting Member

I cut my own by hand when I went from 22 Hornet to K Hornet -- went very slow and used lots of oil and air.. I probably cleaned it way more than needed but it turned of great. No change in POI and I have not lost a case in the 5+ years since doing it myself. I have several non sub caliber reamers that I usually take with a barrel to the smith to have him do it but at the time he was down fighting with the devil.. He won and has been in remission since..

Other than it is scary to think about if you go slow and keep everything clean you can do it too.
Old 08-29-2019, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post

TIA,

Jordan
"has anyone?" Yes. Lots. The stories of the bring back Mausers etc. that got altered. NUmerous. BUT the word is "CARE!" My late buddy the gunsmith (and WW II vet, Navy) told me about a 7.7 Jap that got kitchen tabled by someone not so careful. He said the base came out egg shaped and that made reloading the cases a LOT more work. But for a "pick up" gun... plenty. (Back then '06 surplus ammo was around $0.01 a round... Some replaced the fmjs and some did not...)