Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-07-2021, 06:40 PM

Default sabots / flechettes

I was wondering about the forums thoughts on modern attempts at flechettes or sabots.
The last serious attempt was in the 80s with the ACR project. they concluded that dispersion and accuracy was too poor for tactical usage.
Do you think if the project was repeated today they could manage to rival the accuracy of standard rounds?

There were many obvious causes of innacuracy, including the flechettes bending during firing, and of course the flechettes being far too light (10grains).
Old 01-07-2021, 06:58 PM
Supporting Member

Saboted muzzle loader rounds are very popular. The saboted 30 caliber never proved effective or popular. Easier just to use a 223 or 22-250.
Old 01-07-2021, 07:02 PM

And with better accuracy. Here, Flechettes as in shotshell ammo, is/are a prohibited device. No idea why, as normal buckshot or slugs are much more effective loading for anti-personnel. As far as with shooting animals, one must use appropriate ammo.
The sabots, yes, in .20 and 12 bore shotshell ammo for deer, etc. Some guns like them, some not so much. I prefer full sized slugs.
Old 01-07-2021, 07:04 PM

I meant as a future m4 replacement. The ACR trials were trying to achieve that. In other words something with 600m accuracy
Old 01-07-2021, 08:23 PM

Could you even get a fletchette to hold together out of 600 ?
Old 01-07-2021, 08:44 PM

Yes they easily reached 600 and had 3000fps speed at that range. The problem is they weren't accurate
Old 01-08-2021, 02:05 PM

A flechette /flɛˈʃɛt/ fleh-SHET is a pointed steel projectile with a vaned tail for stable flight. The name comes from French fléchette, "little arrow" or "dart", and sometimes retains the acute accent in English: fléchette. They have been used as ballistic weapons since World War I.

I was at the range early this week and someone had shot the plywood backer at 50 yards with a flechette round. The little darts were everywhere and it was hard to post a target. I pulled them all out with a pair of pliers.

Old 01-09-2021, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Saboted muzzle loader rounds are very popular.
Around here I think this is mostly due to the hunting rules. The muzzle loaders go out first (well, second after the bow and arrows) and they get more tags issued. Last I looked you need a law degree to figure out the Fish and Game publications.
Old 01-09-2021, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrod View Post
Around here I think this is mostly due to the hunting rules. The muzzle loaders go out first (well, second after the bow and arrows) and they get more tags issued. Last I looked you need a law degree to figure out the Fish and Game publications.
sounds like communist California, F&W says the regulations are easy to understand, etc. But try and read this and that and a Law Degree might help a person to better do so. Bill K
Old 01-09-2021, 10:24 PM
Supporting Member

Just for informational purposes: At one time Remington made ammunition loaded with these. The ones at the link are for hand loaders.

https://www.eabco.net/Accelerator-Ty...0_p_13645.html

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine