Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 10-25-2011, 11:45 AM

Default Mini-Mauser conversion?

I have a Rem 799 ( Mark X, Charles Daly mini- mauser) that was born a 222 but was rechambered for the 221 to experiment with the round as it was almost impossible to find a rifle for it back then without going full blown custom. Thinking of using it for building a 17. Can you open the bolt face to except the Hornet rim & still get the extractor to work. I'm assuming the magazine won't feed hornet based 17's without modification. Or should I stay with the existing boltface and build something based on that casehead?
Old 10-25-2011, 12:35 PM
Supporting Member

It would be a lot easier and cheaper to make it a 17 FB.
Use standard dies and your FB brass necked down. Kenny

I pride myself in being able to make decisions with little information.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:55 PM
Supporting Member

17FB (17M4) way more betta cartridge!

I have exactly what you want to do and it's a great rifle (and for sale!)

http://rvbprecision.com/shooting/bui...17mach-iv.html
Full article here................

CZ 527 Magazine Modification

www.rvbprecision.com
Old 10-25-2011, 02:58 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hawkeye View Post
I have a Rem 799 ( Mark X, Charles Daly mini- mauser) that was born a 222 but was rechambered for the 221 to experiment with the round as it was almost impossible to find a rifle for it back then without going full blown custom. Thinking of using it for building a 17. Can you open the bolt face to except the Hornet rim & still get the extractor to work. I'm assuming the magazine won't feed hornet based 17's without modification. Or should I stay with the existing boltface and build something based on that casehead?
It's cheaper to sell, buy a CZ 527 and start from there for the hornet case's. You can also use that rifle to build the 17FB which is a perfect round for 17cal. Adam
Old 10-26-2011, 04:09 AM
Supporting Member

The rim diameter of the FB is .378 and the Hornet is .350 so why would you open it up?
Old 10-26-2011, 01:57 PM

Mrmajestic:
You are correct & I terribly misstated my ?. As the rim thicknesses are different would this require changing the depth of (not opening) the bolt face? Would the .378 bolt face still allow the extractor to work on a .350 rim? The more I think about it & the more feedback I get, if I go with a Hornet based wildcat I would be better off going with the CZ & save the 799 for a different project.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:44 PM
Supporting Member

IIRC correctly, you'd need to bush the bolt face (to make it smaller) and make/purchase a longer extractor to work on the hornet case head. The depth of the bolt face potentially could be left as is, and the difference taken up with the depth that the reamer is ran into the barrel/chamber.

We sleep peaceably in our beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do great violence on our behalf. -- George Orwell
Old 10-26-2011, 10:16 PM

Hawkeye,
You have come to the same conclusion as I would recommend! If you like your 799, I think you would love a CZ Hornet action for your 17 AH build. Keep your 221 as is, or maybe do a 17FB or 20 Vartarg on it. The 17 FB probably won't see much action, after you get the 17 AH. The 221 is one of my favorite cartridges-but, so is the Vartarg! If you wanted a Big Bro for the AH, go back to the 222 case in a 17-222!
Just some more thoughts...
Bill