Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 10-14-2012, 11:45 PM

Default Reamer Question.

I am going to order two barrels (blanks), reamer, & headspace gauges so a friend & I can barrel & chamber a couple rifles to 22 K-Hornet. Will a finish reamer alone be OK to do the chambering or should I get a rougher reamer also? Was told the rougher was not absolutely necessary & was mainly used to put less wear on the finish reamer, thus extending it's useful life. What say you?
Old 10-15-2012, 12:04 AM
Supporting Member

Finish reamer is all I ever use.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:29 AM

I would think that the finish reamer is all most need. The volume guys that do a lot of rifles do use methods to save the finish reamer; one of those methods is a dedicated rougher reamer. Of course there are other methods that some use, such as drilling out and boring bar useage. There has to be a certain comfort level in all of this.

Not a lot of metal is removed with the hornets. Not like chambering a 264 etc.

When you buy the gauges, you probably will be asked if you want the headspace off the rim or off the shoulder.

The K hornets, 17 and 22, are fine cartridges.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:08 AM

Just buy the finish reamer, a 22 Hornet doesn't cut much metal out of the barrel. Also, I would not waste any money on head space gauges for a hornet. You are cutting a new chamber, so you will have to make the rim cut so a standard Hornet round can chamber. You will likely want to cut it not near as deep as a SAAMI rim thickness states, I have never found any new Hornet brass that is within .005 inch of the rim thickness that a head space guage will set it too, and some is even .010 less. I would set the rim cut to give you about .002 on new brass and then let the sholder fall where it ends up at. If you want to headspace only on the sholder you will probably have to get a reamer that does not cut the rim and do it seperately so that you can set the head space on the sholder and then make a rim cut for standard Hornet brass to seat on. Larry