Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2012, 05:04 PM

Default 20 Vartarg ejection issues.

Recently barreled a Savage 110V to 20 Vartarg. When I extract the case the ejector kicks it loose before the case clears the front of the ejection port & the spent case drops half way out of the front part of the action. I assume this is because of the shorter VT case versus the original 223 Rem. I can still flip it back with my index finger & take the case out by hand, which is how I always shoot it anyway. Thinking of taking the ejector out completely so I can pull the case all the way back over the single shot follower & make it easier to take out. Thought I would check here to see if any others use a different remedy or know a way to modify things so ejection works properly.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:10 PM

I like your idea. When trying to take care of my brass, I find it annoying when it gets away from me and lands on the ground!
Old 12-26-2012, 05:18 PM

I just ordered a 17FB barrel to put on a Savage that is currently a 243, and was thinking about doing the same thing. Hope to have it put together in the next week or two. I'll let you know how it works without the ejector if you havent already taken it out by then.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:13 PM
Supporting Member

Same issue/same rifle in .223 set back to .221 Fireball. Too much pressure from the ejector rod/spring.
After trying "numerious" things like shortening the ejector rod, spring and trying to hold my mouth just right, finally gave up and pulled the rod and spring.
Added a single shot follower to the fixed SF mag and single shot adaptor for the CF mag.
Brass stays on the bolt head till you pick it off.
No more chasing brass. All my rigs (Savage) are set up as single shots.
Even worked on my XP 100 Rifle bolt so the brass kinda drops out of the action. Brass never hits the ground.

Last edited by Nor Cal Mikie; 12-26-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:32 PM

Default ejection issue

This is not the answer to your quesdtion.
I bought a Rem XR 100 single shot to make a 20VT. As you experienced, the empty was pulled out of the chamber and dropped in the action, but not ejected. Since mine is a single shot and will be used for PDs only I debated about leaving it that way, but ultimately decided to have a sako extractor installed. That resulted in empties being ejected.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:08 PM

This is a problem people have when using a rem action for a 223 size case to build a fireball. Dedicated fireball bolts have the ejector indexed differently to 223 bolts, so the extractor doesn't let the case go too soon.
Ken.

Last edited by kenbro; 12-27-2012 at 10:17 AM.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:44 AM

Took the spring loaded ejector plunger out & it works perfectly for one that shoots single shot & wants to keep the brass. It's actually easier than when it was a 223 with the ejector. Before I had to be careful & prevent the brass from being ejected & found myself chasing a few. Now the extractor holds it there for easy retrieval. Couldn't be happier. Thanks everyone for your responses.