Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 04-16-2013, 12:37 AM

Powder valley has both the 17 & 6mm caliber Z Max 500 boxes in stock.

http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/

They had the 20 caliber in stock about a month ago. I ordered a few of them.

Safe shooting,
Doug
Old 04-16-2013, 03:12 AM

gday Nesika

Try Hunting and Outdoor Supplies nz {Collings and Bradley} I got a bulk pack off them last year for $129.00
Cheers Ivan
Old 04-16-2013, 09:39 AM

Sorry lads
I got it wrong again ( almost as old as Kenbro ) the article was about "A" Max not "Z" max.
Wally
Old 04-17-2013, 01:03 AM
Supporting Member

Sorry off topic somewhat. Have you guys tried these ?
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/313...-bulk-packaged
Old 04-17-2013, 01:40 AM
Supporting Member

Sorry

I did call the Hornady folks, the person at the other end seems to not have told ME what everyone else says.

I apologize, I'll keep what I was told by a company representative to myself from now on.

It's all good, they shoot better in my guns than Vmax....

Last edited by hemiallen; 04-19-2013 at 02:00 AM. Reason: Trying to not make waves
Old 04-19-2013, 12:23 AM

Thanks for the update Allan (hemiallen).

Cheers Ivan (17brno) - I will give them a buzz.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:26 AM
Supporting Member

Been down this road to many times to travel it again .
Maybe if ya aren't "absolutely" positive you could call Hornady and ask a tech, just a thought .
Old 04-19-2013, 02:04 PM
Supporting Member

Cool Clarification of why I believe Zmax is different

I deleted what I posted above, as all I mentioned was what I was told by the Hornady Tech. I should have spent more time, and have below, explaining why I believe the Z-max is different than just a different colored tip.

I have no dog in the hunt, don't care if I am wrong or right, just want to post what I read, then I called the Hornady tech line for an explanation. I did this several months ago when I read a gunwriter's posting on another website saying there was a jacket difference in the A-max and Z-max bullets, that the are more consistent in both weight and the AMP jacket is more uniform than cup and core jackets. He posted this in a similar thread where everyone said they were told by Hornady the only difference is the color of the poly tip.

Here is what Hornady has on their website

V-max
Their add doesn't say what the jacket used is, but I suspect it is the standard cup and core technology, they hype the AMP jackets on the Z-max and A-max bullets.

A-max
AMP™ BULLET JACKET
Now featuring revolutionary new AMP (Advanced Manufacturing Process) bullet jackets! These new bullet jackets are a technological advancement in design, tooling and manufacturing that combine to produce the most consistently concentric bullet jackets available. Hornady AMP jackets are the foundation for exceptional bullet accuracy and have virtually zero tolerance for concentricity and near zero wall thickness variation.

Z-max
Combined with AMP™ jacket technology, the Z-Max™ bullet is built to...MAKE DEAD PERMANENT!

Not sure why I am posting this, besides sharing what I found to be different than what other posters have said. I am not trying to start a fight, don't care if they are just a different colored tip or really are a different jacket technology, but the gun writer stated that the A-max bullet technology (AMP) produces a more uniform jacket than Cup and core jackets, is less expensive to manufacture, and is more accurate. I called the Hornady Tech line after reading his post, and the Tech told me that indeed, the Z-max is manufactured with the AMP technology jackets, which is different than V-max bullets.

In the few guns I was running out of V-max bullets I reloaded with Zmax bullets, and the limited shooting I have done before Vermin hunting gave a little better accuracy. AMP or cup and core, they do shoot well and are less expensive. I also see they are supposed to be a limited run, but I doubt that is true in today's buying situation.

Allen
Old 04-19-2013, 03:11 PM
Supporting Member

Default and the plot thickens!

Hey no warfare, just a gathering of info for us to analyze! I bought Zmax bullets because they were in stock, and MUCH cheaper than the 'out of stock' Vmax bullets! $12/100 [$59/500] when I bought mine.
Gophers look out.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:29 PM

Default Guess how many Hornady makes!

just as a trivia item....I called up the folks at hornady re lead free questions and asked them how many bullets they make a day or a week or whatever. The answer was that they make 3-4 Million a day! Holy moly.
Tim