Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2014, 08:58 AM

Default 17 Fireball brass From High Plains Brass

Hello all

I suspect most if not all here would check the wall thickness on this brass b4 attempting to fire a loaded round. In the spirit of not assuming may I encourage one to inspect the neck wall thickness or diameter after seating a bullet b4 loading up a lot of rounds. one may say this goes without saying; Still I am saying. I have been seeing .0155 wall thickness.
Galatians 5:22-23New Living Translation (NLT)

22 But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things!

Last edited by SDguy605; 11-26-2014 at 09:18 AM.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:57 PM

Default high plains brass

They claim .011 neck thickness, not so on my 221 Fireball brass. Its ok on my 20 221 40 deg. a loaded round has .002-.003 clearance on neck. The tips on their old Starrett calipers are worn out. But with that said, I think their (HPB) is a real good value, primer pockets nice, formed in one pass to 20 Cal, fire formed real nice, will need to be annealed. sgtg out
Old 11-26-2014, 09:03 PM

Default HPB still offers a value

I have only started to work with this brass. I expect that in the end I may be very pleased with the end product I end up with. Many perhaps most here may be happy to turn there necks to achieve there desired neck clearance. Just prefer if the brass was represented more accurately so it was not a surprise to folks who were not planing turning necks.
Personally I expect most folks will see a need to turn .221 Fireball, 20 Varitarg & 17 fireball necks when using any brass derived from the military 223 brass. As this brass has been advertized most customers would have no reason to have neck turning on their radar.
Galatians 5:22-23New Living Translation (NLT)

22 But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things!
Old 12-21-2014, 08:17 PM
Supporting Member

I just prepped some of this brass. Overall I am pleased with it, but I found primer pockets to be bit loose. I hand prime and they don't feel as snug as Remington brass. Anyone else find this? Chris
Old 12-22-2014, 05:27 PM
Supporting Member

Chris,

I had a similar problem using Rem 71/2 primers, changed them out to BR4's, they seemed to seat a little tighter. This was with LC once fired brass that had been swaged. I have better luck reaming the primer pockets.

Gary
Old 12-23-2014, 12:49 AM
Supporting Member

Interesting. I am using rem 7 1/2 primers......