Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2015, 11:45 AM
Supporting Member

Here's picture of the one I came up with...

We sleep peaceably in our beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do great violence on our behalf. -- George Orwell
Old 01-16-2015, 12:13 PM

Default Elaborate on your shell holder please

MarineMPI Would be interested in sharing more about your shell holder in your cut off set up? Looks great to me. Might save a guy from poking his eye out with a sharp stick
Galatians 5:22-23New Living Translation (NLT)

22 But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things!
Old 01-16-2015, 02:36 PM

Default One difference for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Miller View Post
Here's a pic of mine with the fixture for cutting the length, I used it to make 300 Whisper brass out of 223. There is a thread I did on it dated 6-22-14 with more pics and links to buy it.

Is to do the first run through the sizing or forming die before cutting them. Cuts down on the chance of collapsing any shoulders. Once the first cut is made, then the case is nearly 221 Fireball. A trip through the seater makes it pretty much a 20 VarTarg. All that's left is final forming to your chamber, initial trimming and chamfering. Neck turn if you need it.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:28 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDguy605 View Post
MarineMPI Would be interested in sharing more about your shell holder in your cut off set up? Looks great to me. Might save a guy from poking his eye out with a sharp stick

Tim was kind enough to build that one for me. It uses the Lee Zip case holders. It's held in the table with a small set screw. It can be adjusted with shim stock for very precise accuracy. The table has about 3" of adjustment, from 3" to just less than 1/2" if I remember correctly.

At my peak of making brass I used that saw to cut over 500 case to 1.450" per hour. I only changed blades once and the table, when set never moved. I use a small C clamp to hold it to the table and fashioned a cardboard box to catch the shavings and case pieces being cut off.

The only thing to watch out for when using this system is the Lee case holders are soft and after about 5,000 cases they need to replaced.

The saw doesn't make contact with the table as the front guard prevents it from cutting into the table.

Very, very, fast and repeatable accuracy.

Adam
Old 01-16-2015, 04:47 PM

Default Lee case holder

Adam

Is this holder in the link below what you are referring to?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/352...ck-case-holder

22 But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things!
Old 01-16-2015, 04:59 PM
Supporting Member

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/476...ProductFinding

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/107...ProductFinding

This is the part I was referring to. Then you can change the shell holder as needed.

Adam
Old 01-16-2015, 05:36 PM
Supporting Member

Default setup

My case fixture is not as sophisticated as the previous fixture, 12.00 shipped off Fleabay. Clamp in place, you have a little wiggle room as to case length and it's built primarily for the 221FB case. I use it for 300 Whisper, 221FB, 20VT, and 17MK4. I run the case through the first forming die and then cut right at 1.400, it does reduce the amount of eye stabbing. The first 3 cases are easy, it's that 17 that causes all the teeth gnashing.

Last edited by Chuck Miller; 01-16-2015 at 05:40 PM.
Old 01-16-2015, 05:37 PM

Default No, but..

Quote:
Adam

Is this holder in the link below what you are referring to?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/352...ck-case-holder
I have the one same as in the pic that Adam posted, but I think for the price it would also be worth buying the 3 jaw chuck type. Then decide which works easiest.
Ken.
Old 01-16-2015, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab_bentley View Post
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/476...ProductFinding

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/107...ProductFinding

This is the part I was referring to. Then you can change the shell holder as needed.

Adam
That looks more like it.

1.) Couple more questions it was mentioned that these were soft steel & may wear out after 5,000 cycles. On the other hand description indicates they are hardened. Hardened or not?

Did not see anything in .17 or .204 caliber for the case triming pilot. Was I just not looking hard enough or would I be correcting stating the design does not lend itself to smaller bores than .224 for the case timing side of things?

Old 01-16-2015, 07:26 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
1.) Couple more questions it was mentioned that these were soft steel & may wear out after 5,000 cycles. On the other hand description indicates they are hardened. Hardened or not?

Hardened is a relative term. They're not hard enough to withstand repeated usage like I gave them.

Quote:
Did not see anything in .17 or .204 caliber for the case triming pilot. Was I just not looking hard enough or would I be correcting stating the design does not lend itself to smaller bores than .224 for the case timing side of things?

You're not going to use any other part except the shellholder and drill attachment. The Lee trimmer pictured will give out in a few dozen cases and just turn to crap. The best method is a L.E. Wilson trimmer with CARBIDE cutter. The one I have, has trimmed near 25,000 cases and still will shave off .001 when asked.

Recap, you only want the shell holder and drill drive attachment.

Adam