Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2007, 01:50 PM

Default Recommendations for stocking a Rem SPS V

Hello & Happy Thanksgiving,

I have recently acquired a slightly used Remington SPS V in 17 FB, that may become my favorite calling rifle. This rifle will also be used a good deal in the PD fields of SD & WY. Now the plastic stock looks nice though the pressure point on the barrel along w the inherent instability of plastic leave me considering a alternate stock.

The over molded Hogue Grip stock seem to offer a quit handling fiberglass stock for field use that may fit the bill. Would anyone care to offer pros or cons for the Hogue grip stock, as well as other stocks one may wish to consider? Are there really any measurable advantages to be realized in a Full bed stock as opposed to a pillar bed in a light recoil rifle like the 17 FB?

Thanks,
SDguy

Last edited by SDguy605; 11-22-2007 at 01:54 PM.
Old 11-22-2007, 03:19 PM

Default H-S Precision

I didn't care for the Hogue that came on my SPS Tactical. The forend was so wimpy that it would touch the barrel when rested on a front rest or bi-pod.
I sold it and replaced it with a used H-S that I found on the internet. The swap cost me 50.00 and a 5.00 can of black chalk board paint.
Here's a pic of the SPS. I call it my LTR on the cheap. It shoots every bit as good as an LTR but doesn't have the flutes.
I'm no expert on pillar vs bedding block but I have a couple of H-S stocks and they are the only way to go imo.
You mention your lack of faith in plastic so I will tell you that the Hogue is mearly plastic with a rubber coating.
I'm not bashing Hogue stocks, just sharing my experiences with them. YMMV
I like to void the warranty before ever firing a new rifle , so i replaced the trigger and stock before ever taking it to the range.
Maybe you can find a used H-S on the net, or watch Midway as they put them on sale quite ofter.
Hope this helped, and have a great Thanksgiving.
Old 11-22-2007, 04:06 PM
Supporting Member

I agree with RePete on the H-S Precision stock... That's what I did with my 700 SPS 17 REM FB.

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/6...28smalljd4.jpg

H-S Precision makes a very good serviceable after-market stock.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 11-22-2007 at 10:13 PM.
Old 11-22-2007, 04:24 PM

Just looking at the options available And I expect you are setting me on a better path, as I forgot how flimsy the Hogue stocks are. To top that off I think Ill be looking for a stock for an ADL configuration which Hogue does not seem to offer.

If anyone should see a compatible used H-S precision stock priced right please PM me as I expect this may be the better way to go. Though Ill be keeping an eye on Midway as well.

Thanks,

SDguy
Old 11-22-2007, 06:08 PM

"I agree with RePete on the H-S Precision stock... That's what I did with my 700 SPS 17 REM FB."

BCB................I've seen other posts that you mentioned your SPS in, and now I see why you like it so much...That baby looks SWEET!!!
That looks like the perfect 17FB walking varminter................UUUUUUhhhhhh..........Wel l almost

Sorry,,,,,,,,,,I just had to show my little 17 off one more time.
I love this Caliber, and Rifle........

SDguy..........Didn't mean to hi-jack your thread.
You'll love that SPS.
If I see a good deal on a stock I'll sure let ya know. Good luck and keep us posted.
I think Bell and Carlson makes a replacement stock that has the bedding block. I have no experience with them, but it might be worth a look.
Later

Last edited by RePete; 11-22-2007 at 06:13 PM.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:06 PM

Default If you are handy

A Banser High Tech is tough to beat. HS is nice but they are a bit thick in the wrist for me. A good comprimise is the Bell and Carlson with the bedding block. All of them need bedding, some just more than others. I do not like the ergos on a Hogue but do like the rubber skin.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:36 AM

Default Question??

Does your SPS 17 Furball shoot good groups? I know, you do not like the Rem. "Tupperware" stock. But, if your 17 does shoot why would you want to change. I went thru all of this with a Rem. 700, ADL 22-250. I now have an H-S Precision stock on it and it does shoot great groups at 100, 200 and beyond. The problem is that it shot well before I went to the expense and trouble of restocking it. Hence my question. Does it shoot now? Anyway, I have another Rem. 700 ADL, in .243, with the "Tupperware" stock that I pillar bedded. I free floated the bbl. by sanding the barrel groove. I painted the stock with Krylon, tan, textured paint. Then used a black webbing paint over this. It came out great. I have replaced the original .243 , 22" factory bbl. It has been replaced with a Shilen match bbl. But, it shot very well with the original bbl. until the groups started to open up drastically. I did not think the added expense and weight of an H-S Precision stock would be worth the effort or $$. You might want to think this over some. Good luck!