Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2015, 02:24 PM

Default CZ at SHOT Show

Guys,
Don't know if anybody else has shared this yet, but I talked to the CZ guys at their booth at the SHOT Show. I had heard they would be chambering the 527 in 17 Remington again this year. The CZ guys said that was not the case, and no immediate plans to bring the 17 REM back. He said they are really pushing the 17 Hornet for now.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcrabb View Post
Guys,
Don't know if anybody else has shared this yet, but I talked to the CZ guys at their booth at the SHOT Show. I had heard they would be chambering the 527 in 17 Remington again this year. The CZ guys said that was not the case, and no immediate plans to bring the 17 REM back. He said they are really pushing the 17 Hornet for now.
Suppose we should be thankfull for the 17 Hornet!

Did they say anything about doing the 17 Fireball instead That sure would be nice.
Galatians 5:22-23New Living Translation (NLT)

22 But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things!
Old 01-23-2015, 03:07 PM

Default CZ at Shot Show

Wish they would put out a 20VT, direct from factory/dealer. I believe it would outsell, even the 17 hornet. Bill K
Old 01-23-2015, 06:42 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
Wish they would put out a 20VT, direct from factory/dealer. I believe it would outsell, even the 17 hornet. Bill K
Agreed.............
Old 01-23-2015, 07:48 PM
Supporting Member

Default nah....

These manufacturers have wised up and finally realize that if you don't have a ready supply of factory ammo your doomed to fail. The small caliber wildcat community represents a drop in the bucket to them. Only way you'll see even some of the small caliber factory Saami approved cartridges are if a distributer does a special run. Only thing saving the 17HH was Hornady finally started filling the supply chain with ammo. Look at the 17HMR and the 17HM2, which one(manufacturers) are they still building, which ones can you find ammo for?
Old 01-23-2015, 09:07 PM
Supporting Member

Years ago (many), I had a conversation with Mitch(?) at CZ about new rifle chamberings. I think the number bandied about at that time for introducing a new chambering was 10,000 sold the first year. I about fell over in shock, but after thinking about the investment, well...I can understand the need to move a lot of merchandise quickly, and as upfront as possible to recoup investment in tooling and time...

That's a lot of rifles to sell, so it had better be something a LOT of people are going to want...

We sleep peaceably in our beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do great violence on our behalf. -- George Orwell
Old 01-23-2015, 09:09 PM

Default CZ

I wish they'd build a gun with a short throat. I won't be buying one before they do.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:58 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinePMI View Post
Years ago (many), I had a conversation with Mitch(?) at CZ about new rifle chamberings. I think the number bandied about at that time for introducing a new chambering was 10,000 sold the first year. I about fell over in shock, but after thinking about the investment, well...I can understand the need to move a lot of merchandise quickly, and as upfront as possible to recoup investment in tooling and time...

That's a lot of rifles to sell, so it had better be something a LOT of people are going to want...
I use to think that in time manufacturers will eventually come out with more great Wildcats. But there is a huge investment and risk involved that I don't consider. Thanks for the wake up call!
Old 01-23-2015, 11:26 PM
Supporting Member

Another thing from a CZ rep that surprised me. After getting, and shooting my 17HH Varmint gun I put in the Fugly green tactical stock and trying to use it last spring while Skippy shooting, I realized I need 2 of them. My son loved that it hit more reliably than his 223, less recoil and could shoot longer strings, although the Acrobatics of Skippy were better with the 50 grain Vmax vs the 20 grain pill. I could hear his hits from my shooting table, and kept asking which gun he was killing with, even though it was obvious from the report. I probably got to shoot 50 rds out of 350 rounds we shot.

When I got home from our last trip I tried to locate another from that first run and found nothing, so I called hoping the CZ rep might help me find one. After that failed ( he recommended their largest recipients and told me to check ( which was a dead end but appreciated) I asked about the second wave of guns arrival date. He said there was an outstanding order for ALL of the second batch to go to "other country's" not the USA, and I realized we aren't the only game in town, lol. I believe my second gun came in batch #3, or 4, and didn't have the nice wood of the first run.

Silly me, thinking we got all the guns, lol. I suspect caliber is also a surprise, and as stated we vermin guys probably are a small percentage of the buying marketplace.

Allen
Old 01-24-2015, 11:41 AM

Default Thinking out loud here...

I do think even though the small calibers are "small potatoes" to most of the gun companies, a 20 Vartarg would.sell 10,000 copies pretty quickly.
Matt