Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-10-2007, 07:09 PM

Default Looking for bedding pointers SPSV to a HS precision

OK I came up w a HS Precision stock from a neighbor down the road for replacing my SPSV stock on the 17 FB. Now I am looking at skim bedding the action to the stock. When checking the fit of the stock to the action I notice a fair amount of interference between the stock screws and the clearance holes through the bedding block. Additionally the floor plate seems to rock on the magazine box, not settling in quit right.

As I understand things the stock has had some bedding work performed in the past. Recently the old bedding had been removed if I understand things correctly.
There was still some bedding material left in the recoil lug pocket. The material in the lug pocket was easily removed with very little force. I almost wonder if the past bedding work may have been done with bondo, as easily as things popped out of that lug pocket.

Additionally the stock has been opened up to accept a full size straight 1 ¼ straight Varmint barrel. Anyone care to offer pro’s & cons to filling the barrel channel in to reduce the clearance between the barrel and barrel channel in the forearm?

Should anyone care to offer any pointers on how to get the maximum advantage out of this HS stock, Ill appreciate any input from anyone who may have tackled a similar project in the past.

I have recently done some bedding work on a few rimfire rifles, for practice. Other than that my bedding experience is minimal. Would I be better off seeking the services of a professional to get the most from this stock?

Thanks!

SDguy
Old 12-11-2007, 12:47 AM

I am doing the same thing as you are with a H-S stock for my spsv. I got a dvd from Midway called Super Tuning The Factory Rifle. Darrel Holland show how he beds a H-S stock. I found it really good and will be doing mine real soon. Maybe this will help.

race4hills.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:50 AM

Default Here's a way to repair the barrel channel

A buddy of mine bought a PSS a few years back and needed to open the channel to accept a #7 contour. I marked the channel for him and left him alone with a Dremel.... OOOPS! when I got back 45 mins later the channel was big enough for a straight barrel.

We went up to Wal Mart and picked up some white 2 part epoxy from the area that has boat supplies. We put 4 layers of tape on the bottom of the barrel in front of the recoil lug. We cleaned the barrel channel out with MEK and taped off the outside of the stock. Applied release agent (Pam) to the barrel and action. We then mixed the epoxy and placed a good bead of it in the bottom of the channel. We then reinstalled the barreled action and let the epoxy set up. This took less than an hour.

Once it was all set up, we removed the barreled action, recleaned everything including the small amount that oozed out. It was then ready for paint.

It was painted flat black, then a bit of gold spider webbing and four coats of clear. Turned out pretty nice.

He has repainted it since then, but the only real change was to go from a basic blact to a Ford red metallic to match his truck. BTW, he kept the spider webbing....