Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-27-2016, 08:38 AM

Brno rifles have been sold in Australia and NZ since the early 1950's... so what is 'common knowledge' amongst some of us older shooters here may seem unlikely to those in the USA

Some of the earliest ZKW465's are engraved 22 X 36 Ho and ALL have .223" bores (and yes I have slugged both of mine).

ANYWAY getting back on topic...

This is the early ZKB 680 Fox in .222 Rem... note the barrel mounted sling swivel, round counterbored bolt knob and open style breech.
These are nicely finished and very collectable.

Here is a very late model Fox, with poorly finished investment cast receiver with closed in breech.
You can see someone has managed to replace the double set trigger assembly with a M98 Timney... I'd love to know more!

Last edited by Tilleyman; 05-27-2016 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Correction..
Old 05-27-2016, 09:12 AM
Supporting Member

I understand you tipping the wink mate, but my respnse was in keeping with the way the question was put

It related to current model CZ 527s in 22 hornet, i'm not interested in all this SAAMI and other acronym stuff. Its common knowledge among many US shooters that 527 hornet is .223"

Again I can't comment on other CZ 22 cals but I would guess they would be .224" Maybe the .223" is a euro thing that CZ has never chaanged

Johno
Old 05-27-2016, 09:32 AM

Default brno fox

I have had two of the later models one I still have was a 22 hornet and now has been a 17ah for the past 30 odd years ,my favourite rifle. The other I bought about 7 years ago was a 222 that I got with the intention of turning into a 222/20 but ended up selling to fund another project
Great actions for small calibers
Cheers Ivan
Old 05-27-2016, 10:58 AM

I've not slugged my .22 Hornet barrel and don't intend to, I've been told that their barrels slug .2235, don't know it for a fact but I can tell you it has no problem shooting .224 bullets. Same for my .222 527.

Both rifles are post 2008.
Old 05-27-2016, 12:56 PM

Johno: No sarcasm intended. I was, however, expressing some skepticism as it didn't make economic or manufacturing sense to me. I did state that I was just curious how you acquired this knowledge about CZ & asked for corroborative information. Sorry if that offended.
Old 05-27-2016, 03:00 PM

My old BRNO Fox in .22 Hornet (1970) was a special rifle. My Uncle's BRNO Fox in .222 was also a special rifle. I don't know when he bought that one.
I would buy it.
Old 05-27-2016, 09:15 PM
Supporting Member

Back before CZ started selling bare 527 actions to James Calhoon and he had

lots of barrels to sell, he suggested the 22 Hornet barrels, being .223 would

make good 22 rimfire barrels.

Of course they would be 0.001 oversize.

Don't ask CZ why. when they still have the gosh awful mag hanging

out the bottom of the stock and all those slotted screws. Kenny

I pride myself in being able to make decisions with little information.
Old 05-27-2016, 10:48 PM
Supporting Member

All good mate, I probably just read more into your post than I should have.
Even the grand kids call me grumps

Johno
Old 05-27-2016, 11:49 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilleyman View Post
Brno rifles have been sold in Australia and NZ since the early 1950's... so what is 'common knowledge' amongst some of us older shooters here may seem unlikely to those in the USA

Some of the earliest ZKW465's are engraved 22 X 36 Ho and ALL have .223" bores (and yes I have slugged both of mine).

ANYWAY getting back on topic...

This is the early ZKB 680 Fox in .222 Rem... note the barrel mounted sling swivel, round counterbored bolt knob and open style breech.
These are nicely finished and very collectable.

Here is a very late model Fox, with poorly finished investment cast receiver with closed in breech.
You can see someone has managed to replace the double set trigger assembly with a M98 Timney... I'd love to know more!

I've seen the set trigger replaced on BRNO 465's also, and one I've got has a trigger like a military 98 Mauser.
A friend has fitted a Timney trigger to a BRNO 465 to replace the Military 98 Mauser style trigger.
I'll let you know what I have to do when I get around to working on that BRNO 465......Cheers Kiwi
Old 05-29-2016, 10:48 PM

Default Timney Sportsman 98

triggers will nearly fit into the slot that holds the trigger on a Brno ZKW, I was going to fit one to a rifle I used to own that was 5.7MMJ, a little grinding on the mount ears and under the action will be required. Rifle now sold so I never got around to doing the fitting. To check, take off the set trigger gear and hold a Timney near where it fits and you will see what needs to be done. Just remember to "make haste slowly" and take little bits off at a time.