Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 08-26-2016, 08:06 PM

Great story and photo's silverfox as always.I enjoy reading about your pdog hunts and photo's of flora and fauna quite a bit different to what we see down under.Shame you had a idiot intrude on your day
Thanks for your story Ivan
Old 08-26-2016, 08:18 PM

Great pictures and story. It appears that you are a "mature" prairie dog shooter. One that looks to take the high quality-high success shots. I'm still in the quantity shooting... I need lots of targets of opportunity and if the 17 isn't big enough, then the 204, if the 204 isn't big enough then.....

Love the 17's on the light to no wind days (my experience of those being far and few in between) out to about 300-350. Had one of those days in Nebraska last year and that was fun.

Two questions: Do you have any concern about laying on p-dog mounds and getting more than you bargained for? Second, how much difference do you think the silencers make in keeping the d-dogs from going the hole?

thanks,
Old 08-27-2016, 03:09 AM
Supporting Member

thekriebles--Thanks for the kind words about my post. I think my son appreciates going out with me. I make it very easy for him since he uses my rifle, I do all the reloading, all the barrel cleaning, and all he has to do is pull the trigger What's not to like I do enjoy having him along even if I have to do all the dirty work.

17brno--Glad you enjoyed the post. My son and I got over the encounter with the idiot. We just pretended the next few prairie dogs were the idiot and felt much better after pulverizing a few prairie dogs!!!

tstowater--
Quote:
Two questions: Do you have any concern about laying on p-dog mounds and getting more than you bargained for? Second, how much difference do you think the silencers make in keeping the d-dogs from going the hole?
First question: We definitely keep our eyes and ears open for the snakes that can inhabit the prairie dog dens. Besides giving our elbows protection from getting rubbed raw, the elbow pads might take a snake strike and keep us from getting bitten. We usually poke some dirt chunks down the den hole to see if anything responds. Before we had suppressors and had to wear hearing protection, we had to remove the hearing muffs to check out the PD holes, but now we don't. Much more convenient.

Second question: I think the suppressors definitely have kept the prairie dogs up out of their holes for some extra time. However, since the sonic boom doesn't disappear, they can still hear the sound, but don't know where it is coming from. When they see their buddies exploding around them, I think they get a sense that there is danger looming

My main reason for purchasing and using suppressors is to protect my hearing.

NRA Life Member