Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 11-09-2017, 05:19 AM

Default Howa Miniaction 223

Tho have not shot this yet, have high hopes for this Howa Minaction...It looks well made and I kinda like the green Hogue stock...Action is smooth.
Going to scope it up and see how it shoots
Would like to hear other's experiences....

One thing, tho...The magazine release is a huge disappointment...in the wrong place and operates in the wrong direction! Handling the forearm and touch ever-so-slightly the release, (or, have gloves on!), and the mag drops to the ground. In snow or high grass...it would be gone! I predict this will be the first design modification of the rifle...just too easy to loose the magazine.

Like to hear other Miniaction owner's comments...

Bill
Old 11-09-2017, 04:07 PM
Supporting Member

Bill I have a friend that has a mini Howa, As you stated the magazine release is funky, I dropped his magazine just checking the rifle out, accidentally dumped it, otherwise looked and felt like a pretty nice rifle to me.

Tom
Old 11-09-2017, 04:44 PM
Supporting Member

This is just one incident, but at a gun shop that I frequent, a Howa Mini has been the only rifle sold there that the owner frustratingly brought back wanting his money back, largely due to the magazine catch issue.

They no longer sell the rifle in that GS.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 11-09-2017, 04:45 PM

I bought the barreled action in 6.5 Grendel from Brownell's & fitted it to the Boyd's Tacticool style stock. Other than the plastic bottom metal & the mag release issue you mentioned, I'm pretty happy with it. Barrel seemed smooth for a factory job (it cleans up fairly easily) & it shoots MOA or better with about anything I put thru it. Action & bolt are solid & the extractor is Sako style & stout. Built it for 600 to 1000 yard target & gong shooting off a bench, so I'm not concerned about losing the mag. If I was going to use it as a walk-about rifle, I would pick a different rifle, because I guarantee the mag will get dropped & lost. Hope someone comes out with different bottom metal to remedy that gross design mistake. I recommend you look at the Boyd's AT (adjustable stock) or ProVarmint(tacticool) for this action. Much superior to the cheap Hogue it comes with, which is why I just bought the barreled action. I got the 20" HB & really like the balance & handiness. Let us know how yours shoots!!
Old 11-09-2017, 05:38 PM

If you were to “Fix” the mag in situ, can these things be loaded from the top?
Also, is this action similar length to Rem. M7?
Ken.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbro View Post
If you were to “Fix” the mag in situ, can these things be loaded from the top?
Also, is this action similar length to Rem. M7?
Ken.
I load from the top single shot at the bench without issues. Was thinking of cutting the mag so it doesn't protrude & modifying it to stay in place.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:55 AM
Supporting Member

I have a Howa mini in 7.62x39, and lost a magazine on one of the first trips out walking. Pled my case to Howa CS, they sent me a replacement at a reduced price. I then bobbed the release to about half its original length, works great, and so far no more accidental mag drops. And then I found the missing mag!
The rifle is slick as can be overall, shoots great, great trigger. And now more "user friendly".
Old 11-10-2017, 01:12 PM

Mulerider's comment about the trigger is spot on. Excellent design, easily adjusted, changing one spring can give it a very low pull weight & still maintain safety. Info on internet about modifying it is good. I thought about cutting the mag release tab off flush, but wasn't sure if it would still be operational. Half way, like Mulerider did, will be where I start.

Last edited by Old Hawkeye; 11-11-2017 at 12:57 PM.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:35 PM

After scoping and shooting the Howa Miniaction, I have to say two things:
1) This is a very nice and well proportioned rifle- I really like it
It is accurate and fits to the shoulder and is light and action in slick!
2) I absolutely HATE the magazine release!!!!
This is "almost" a bad enough design and problem to make me walk away from this rifle...almost....The rest of the design is well thought out and a pleasure to shoot. But, how this FLAW escaped Howa and Legacy's beta testing, is beyond me! You cannot get ANYTHING close to the release without the mag dropping right out....Have an idea to fix it, but, this has got to be first priority for Howa or their customers are going to get tired of buying new magazines.

I agree with all the other positive remarks on the rifle and appreciate sharing.

Howa has a winner with this rifle and for small caliber conversions, I think the Howa will make a lot of shooters well satisfied. Just need to get the mag release issue fixed.

Bill

Oh Yeah!
Agree too, the trigger is a dream....it is so simple and easy to adjust! It is impressive.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:10 PM
Supporting Member

Bill, The complaints of yourself and others re the magazine have been going on since the rifle was introduced. I think it was on the campfire someone contacted through a rep and was told there were no plans to change this, just amazing they would ignore all the feedback. The rifle is very popular down here but the same complaint pops up all the time.

You have companies over there that are always making upgrades to different rifles it surprises me no one has jumped on this, perhaps its just to difficult and costly to come up with an alternative

Johno