Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 11-09-2017, 05:18 AM

You make a great point Bill but, what would you rather have a custom built BullBerry encore 6BR or a H&R handi rifle in 243?

Every time I reload for it I get groups but then the groups change? As much as I want to love the little Handi rifle it just keeps disappointing me. I sure don't think this will be the case with a BullBerry.
Old 11-09-2017, 01:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

my encore 6br gave 2920 fps with 80 gr sierra pistol bullets, shot under .5" and I shot whitetail deer from 125 to 265 yards. this was out of a 14" barrel and I get the exact same results from my xp-100 6br. not sure of the twist on the encore but the xp-100 is a 1-12 so 85 is max bullet weight.
had a 6x45 and 6x47 and found the 6x45 was a little more consistent accuracy wise and they were close in performance. 6x47 brass can be made from .204 ruger brass
Old 11-09-2017, 01:56 PM

Default If you had to choose ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
You make a great point Bill but, what would you rather have a custom built BullBerry encore 6BR or a H&R handi rifle in 243?

Every time I reload for it I get groups but then the groups change? As much as I want to love the little Handi rifle it just keeps disappointing me. I sure don't think this will be the case with a BullBerry.
Well between those two choices, I would have to say the Encore. Bill K.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:25 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csterner View Post
I'm confused on the 6x47's. I know one is on the 222 mag and one is 6x47 Lapua. Does Bulberry do that one? I can vouch for that one. Mine is on a 700. Awesome caliber. Like a 6BR long. More case capacity for heavier bullets, better for deer size critters and the light bullets will scream. Go with a 9 twist and shoot 55's to 105's.

That said, it's not a whole lot different than a 243, really. More of a PITA to form, but you only have to do that once and you get the benefit of Lapua brass with the small flash hole.
I converted a 40X 6BR with a 14 twist to a .20 Dasher and had beau-coups 55 to 75 grain 6MM varmint bullets left on the shelf. I also had a 788 Remington made in 1967 chambered in .22-250 that had lived it's life on a fishing boat in Alaska to shoot seals caught in the nets. Barrel and bottom metal rusted as bad as you'd imagine but the action was clean and when the stock was refinished to remove the nasty yellow varnish I found a decent walnut stock believe it or not.
I was trying to figure what to do with the rifle and Fireball who no longer shows up here but created the first .20 Practical says make it a 6X47 Lapua, you'll love it. I sent the rifle and a 6MM 1 in 12 twist Krieger barrel to Greg Tannel and he sent me back one of the most accurate rifles I own. I know faster twist for heavier bullets are in vogue for that round but without leaning on it at all it's turning out 3,700 FPS almost exactly with the 65 grain V-Max. Fantastic rock-chuck round.
This is the two loads I settled on the Hornady 70 grain SPSX at 3,450ishFPS as memory serves and that 65 grain Hornady V-Max load. Feeds outta the .22-250 magazine like it was made for it.

That is every thing I know about the 6X47's, that and the fact I sure like mine!
Old 11-10-2017, 01:06 AM

If I was to go 6x47 Lapua wouldn't it be wiser to just go 6mm Creedmoor and neck down my 6.5 CM brass?

I suppose I could even buy some 6.5CM Starline brass with the small primer pocket and neck that down.

I have been reading how unbelievably accurate the 6BR is hence why I decided to go with it.

Thoughts?

Mine are, if I need to go over 85gr bullets then I can simply use the 6.5 CM. But then again the 6mm CM will push a 55gr bullet @ 4100fps, not sure if the speed has an advantage on coyotes in terms of pelt friendliness? I can also use my own theory and reduce the 6mmCM to match the 6BR, but the question is will it be as accurate as the 6BR...?
Old 11-10-2017, 01:35 AM

I like the 6BR & that is the one I would chose. Bit better ballistic performance than the PPC and easier to find brass for me.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
I like the 6BR & that is the one I would chose. Bit better ballistic performance than the PPC and easier to find brass for me.
Doug started to steer me off course with those target pictures

I really am fixated on the 6BR.. Another consideration on owning a 6x47 or a 6mmCM would be the head stamp and mixing up rounds along with my 6.5 CM, I would have to really pay extra close attention more than I already do.

Just need info on barrel length and twist rate for 55gr to 85gr. Anything bigger I'll grab the 6.5CM.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:53 PM

My 6X45, built on a Sako L469, is my go to walk-about rifle. Will shoot 85 grain bullets right at 3000 FPS from a 24" barrel. Shoots 55 -75 grainers 3150 to 3250. Mine is a 10 twist & will steady bullets up to 90 grains & some of the 95's. Because of the lower velocity, compared to the 243, if you want to shoot 100 grainers get an 8 twist. You will only get around 2400 FPS with the heavies & you will have OAL problems as the case neck will be past the bullet shank & up on the ogive to get SAAMI length. With a single shot that's probably not an issue. I would make certain the freebore of your chamber allows you to seat the heavies out farther if you are going to use them. I don't think the case of the 6X45 or 6TCU is suitable for the heavier bullets, which is why I went with the 10 twist & shoot 85's. Big pluses for the 6X45 & 6TCU are the 223 brass availability, ease of case prep, & lack of recoil. The 6TCU is pretty much the same except it requires a fireforming step. Brass (222 Rem Mag) can be an issue with the 6X47. With 85's mine still has 1000 ft-lbs of energy at 200 yards so I limit my shots on deer to that. It will anchor coyotes @ 400. I think it is the prefect kid/ladies centerfire for game up to deer & just plain fun for anybody. I've parked my 243 Win since I built the 6X45. Just food for thought. Hope it helps.
Old 11-10-2017, 06:06 PM

Old Hawkeye,
Would you mind revealing which powder (Not load) you use to get 3000 fps with 85 grain bullets?
Regards,Ken.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbro View Post
Old Hawkeye,
Would you mind revealing which powder (Not load) you use to get 3000 fps with 85 grain bullets?
Regards,Ken.
IMR 8208 XBR, not sure what the Aussie & UK number equivalent is. H335 worked well also in my barrel. Shilen #3, 24", 5 groove, 10 twist. Actual 5 shot average was 2988 FPS with a 16 ES. Use the same powder with 75 gr. V-Max to get 3150 FPS. What few lighter weight bullets I tried didn't shoot as accurately. If I had it to do over I would get the 3 groove Pac-Nor 10 twist, but that's just because the 3 groove 20 cals I've bought since I built the 6X45 have all performed so well & clean so easy.