Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-08-2018, 01:35 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel_slayer View Post
I've never heard of a overstabilized bullet but I have heard of bullet rpm getting so high that they start coming apart due to centrifugal force.

a lot of recent testing has shown that more rpm can translate into higher BC #'s. well at least with the heavy for caliber vld's on the market.
Its ballistic gak for guys who think that shooting at coyotes over the horizon is a good time. I asked the question just to see what the guys on the smart forums are talking about....

It has minimal effect for most normal hunting ranges. and a bit of bench time will answer all of the relevant accuracy questions that you might have about your rifle at reasonable hunting distances.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 05-08-2018, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou City Boy View Post
What's an over stabilized bullet?

Just curious..........

-BCB
Overstabilized, it is the wrong word to use, I should have said overspun, as being over stabilized is not really going to produce the results of what some have seen.

The meaning I attempted to convey was that there is a minimum spin rate that provides a spin induced gyroscopic stability, and at the same time any flaws in bullet construction are brought to light by a spin rate that causes a flaw to deform the bullet, jacket friction in a bore can according to links below also cause lead cores to melt.

I would say without any reservation that if you have a partially melted lead core that is not going to induce accuracy, and may cause a bullet to loose it's near perfect point forward orientation.

If you don't agree with me based on your experience then count yourself lucky, as apparently others have encountered this or some similar condition causing the bullets to fly off course giving "patterns" of 3 inch or greater in some barrels.

https://www.longrangehunting.com/thr...article.20778/

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...pin-a-problem/

Last edited by 17tbs; 05-08-2018 at 02:04 PM.
Old 05-08-2018, 03:58 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17tbs View Post
Overstabilized, it is the wrong word to use, I should have said overspun, as being over stabilized is not really going to produce the results of what some have seen.

The meaning I attempted to convey was that there is a minimum spin rate that provides a spin induced gyroscopic stability, and at the same time any flaws in bullet construction are brought to light by a spin rate that causes a flaw to deform the bullet, jacket friction in a bore can according to links below also cause lead cores to melt.

I would say without any reservation that if you have a partially melted lead core that is not going to induce accuracy, and may cause a bullet to loose it's near perfect point forward orientation.

If you don't agree with me based on your experience then count yourself lucky, as apparently others have encountered this or some similar condition causing the bullets to fly off course giving "patterns" of 3 inch or greater in some barrels.

https://www.longrangehunting.com/thr...article.20778/

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...pin-a-problem/
I never said I was disagreeing with you. I simply said that its an issue that is not really relevant to most hunting situations, ie.ballistic gak.

If you have 3" patterns at 100 yards, I'm guessing from your statement?, you have problems far greater than simply over spinning a bullet. And a bullet failure from over spinning would be easily seen in several different ways.

I have a drawer full of ballistic programs bought in the past maybe 15 years that tell me that a certain bullet should not shoot well in a certain rifle....... But it does anyway.......

"..............there is a minimum spin rate that provides a spin induced gyroscopic stability...........". BR shooters have chased this single idea for years to get maximum accuracy at known yardages.

Btw - I was down south this past weekend and I shot the 8" twist 22-250 that shot well at 100 yards with the bullet named above. I was able to hit a roughly 12" spot on a rock at a known 460 yards from where I was shooting all 3x tried. I have no idea if the bullet nose was too high or too low at bullet apogee due to spin rate, but I do know the bullet at that distance is still "minute of coyote" in spite of what any of your or my ballistic programs might tell us.

-BCB

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 05-08-2018 at 04:30 PM.
Old 05-08-2018, 05:06 PM

I call an overstabalized bullet a "bad" bullet. FYI my Sav 12 FV 1-9 also shoots 68 grain bthp's into bugholes. I shoots the Fiocchi 40 grain Vmaxes as good as the 50 Vmaxes, around 3/4" There are plenty of guys shooting 40 grain bullets in 1-8's with no issues but dead critters, and their is a really dramatic effect when said bullet touches the fur of a grass rodent. For a BR guy it's probably a thing, but for a critter getter, I think it's way overstated, and actually an advantage, if your gun likes them.
Old 05-09-2018, 12:48 AM

BCB, yep, totally agree with all you guys have said. A good case in point is the 69gr SMK BTHP that is not "supposed to" be stabilized in my 1 in 12" 16.25" TC barrel. It still shoots these into under an inch, which would be impossible if the bullet believed in numbers and not in actual holes on paper. The bullet doesn't care, nor does the bullet "believe" in anything.

Last edited by 17tbs; 05-09-2018 at 12:50 AM.
Old 05-09-2018, 04:19 AM

Weather the twist is right for bullet you plan to use you need to keep in mind the speed that it travels down the barrel can make a big difference as well. In other words you can have a 22-250 and a 22-250ackley and say you shoot the Hornady 52 gr. A-max. (special twist needed) the 52 gr. may not work in the 22-250 but will in the ackly due to having more powder behind it. To fast of twist can over spin a bullet and cause melt down of core or jacket peeling away. Also test a certain bullet at farther distances you may get a one holer at 100 yards but all over the place at 300 yards.
Old 05-09-2018, 02:05 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Anderson View Post
Weather the twist is right for bullet you plan to use you need to keep in mind the speed that it travels down the barrel can make a big difference as well. In other words you can have a 22-250 and a 22-250ackley and say you shoot the Hornady 52 gr. A-max. (special twist needed) the 52 gr. may not work in the 22-250 but will in the ackly due to having more powder behind it. To fast of twist can over spin a bullet and cause melt down of core or jacket peeling away. Also test a certain bullet at farther distances you may get a one holer at 100 yards but all over the place at 300 yards.
Yupper for sure. I did just that at 460 yards this past weekend with the 8" twist 22-250 and this bullet. I noted it in an earlier post.

100 yards only counts as the final check point for point blank BR shooters.

-BCB

Old 05-09-2018, 05:07 PM

How does the 52 Amax do on fur?? I bought "too many" of them, and was curious. Thanks
Old 05-09-2018, 07:13 PM

Out of all the plastic tipped bullets made it is the only bullet I will use that also has a plastic tip on coyotes. I think its a little tougher made bullet that holds together well and penetrates good on coyotes. Stay off bone and put the bullet where it needs to be and it keeps hide dmg. to a minimum. You're mileage may differ if shot out of a smaller cartridge/ slower speed.