Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-03-2017, 03:01 PM

Looks good. What cartridge do you go with?

Aaron
Old 02-03-2017, 10:47 PM

Default First try

First reamer I went with was the consensus of members here. It is a 17 Fireball with .193 neck. Actually that was another delay, the reamer came with the wrong neck. I had to send it back. I haven't had good luck with this particular reamer company but onward we go. So my plan isn't to necessarily make it a Benchrest cartridge yet but to pick 3 accurate powders that can be test d to create a fair CARTRIDGE aggragate to compare against the next. Hopefully I can get all the testing done through this one barrel for apples to apples. The other cartridge that I want to compare is the 17 jet (works with PPC bolt face), 17 Fireball-.100 short, and 17-.200 short PPC.

The 3 powders I was planning to use for all 3 or 4 were and I'm very open to input but, AA2200, LT32, and H322.

All fairly common accuracy powders. Now once one seems to shine above then the more fine tuning can begin. Right now I simply want to know ultimate capacity for accuracy and shape I suppose too. Then I'll see how accurate accurate is...
Old 02-04-2017, 12:57 AM

Can't wait to see what you find.

Aaron
Old 12-24-2018, 11:40 PM

I know its been a while and this is an old thread but I was wondering if you had any updates?

Aaron
Old 01-03-2019, 04:49 PM

Talking A long overdue update

[IMG]img_4531.jpg[/IMG]

I am glad to see this thread I started 3.5 years ago is still alive. I'm less happy that I have not been able to keep it a float with news. Here is the latest:

I hope the picture of my railgun appears in this post. I cannot for the life of me understand how to insert an image. I ended up getting a 1-10" Pacnor unlimited barrel and chambering it to 17 Fireball .192" neck to fit Lapua .221 FB brass. I went to the range and fireformed some brass trying different bullets. I split duty between 20gr Noslers, 25gr Hornady, and 25gr V-Max. I tried H322, AA 2015, and Benchmark with each bullet. I will not pursue the Vmax any longer with this particlular barrel. It looked like keyholing was happening. The fire forming results were so-so. I did not bring wind flags and was guessing on powder charges. Also it was my first time ever firing a railgun. This was probably mid 2017...

Second time out, I focused on the 20gr Noslers and 25gr Hornady. Same bunch of powders but I didnt bring the wind flags. The bullets went all over the place considering the gun I was shooting. About this time I had just had had my second child and was pretty busy. Then my wife and I decided to start a labrotory to test Marijuana in the state of Alaska and that was a major undertaking like we never imagined!. We open in early February finally!!

So, with all these hurdles starting to appear in my rearview mirror I decided its time to get the guns back out. I screwed on a 6 PPC barrel to the railgun to go do some proof shooting to understand how it works and how often to lube the derlin parts etc before continuing on with the 17 FB project. I believe I am at a point where I am ready to get serious again.

During this 3.5 year period I did do some shooting. I had Cooper build me a 22 BR on a blank of Mexican Rosewood and I dialed a 20 Tac in for blacktailed deer hunting. Those 2 guns taught me that X-terminator is a great powder and I intend to use it as a starting point for the 17 FB. I also plan to use 8208XBR. I may also add AA2520 to the initial list and focus on those 3 powders shooting 25 Rem HP until I think I know what the 17 FB is all about. I bought 200 25gr Nagels but misplaced them with my bottle of rail lube while waiting to get started.

I am taking a family vacation this month and will get on it when I get back. I will keep the results posted.

TJ
Old 01-03-2019, 05:11 PM

Default 17 caliber accuracy

Not a rail gun, but my 17FB thrives on CFE BLK and a shooting buddies likes Xterminator, both in and around the17 -19 grain area, with the 20 grain bullets. Looking forward to more of you findings. Bill K

Last edited by Bill K; 01-03-2019 at 05:14 PM.
Old 01-03-2019, 07:45 PM

Do you still live in Ketchikan? I just moved back and would love to see a rail. Only seen pictures on the internet.

Aaron
Old 01-04-2019, 12:53 AM

Yup, I’m here
Old 01-04-2019, 02:07 AM

Ballpowder: I had Cooper build me a 22 BR on a blank of Mexican Rosewood

would love to see pictures of your cooper
thanks
kerry
Old 01-04-2019, 03:08 AM

Default Picture

I don’t know how to post pictures