Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2020, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17VLD View Post
Shell holder set that had multiple thickness case holders + or - I never had them but if memory serves they would allow you to adjust your case body length without having to cam over.
Matt
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...tail&FORM=VIRE
Old 06-15-2020, 12:49 PM

If the line from the marker trick circles ( partway or all the way)the base of the neck, sounds like you pushed the donut out with the expander . Various ways to deal with that, all depends on what case prep equipment you have. Don't worry about headspace(shoulder bump) until you know necks fit chamber correctly. Hunting rifles need 4-6 thousandth(total) neck clearance after bullet seating, example finished cartridge 0.248 neck diameter, fired brass 0.252-0.253(this is after spring back, cold brass).

Last edited by coyotespotter; 06-15-2020 at 12:58 PM.
Old 06-15-2020, 01:03 PM

All helping with advice hoping you have the chamber completely clean of all carbon and other residue before setting die for sizing to fit chamber.
Old 06-15-2020, 02:45 PM
Supporting Member

If it is the case of the shoulder not being moved back far enough and you have access to a lathe, just take. 010 off bottom of die. a permanent fix and can be adjusted to the need. at least it has worked for me. jmho,tom.
Old 06-15-2020, 03:38 PM

I was just going to suggest that PWDRBRN. I have used a good file to carefully take a small amount off if the shellholder is soft enough or used a belt sander to do the same thing before I had a lathe. You could also use a drill press with a vise and an old engine valve to lap some off. Good luck and keep us posted.

Lowell

Quote by THOMAS JEFFERSON
Old 06-15-2020, 04:17 PM

All good advice and thank you to everyone who has posted. I know from Cooper that the chamber is .232 outside neck diameter. The Hornady die sizes the virgin Remington brass to .227 outside neck diameter. I agree with most of you who said it is probably a die problem. I am going to purchase a Redding S series full length sizing die and compare. What size bushing should I get? Also, titanium nitride or steel bushing?

Last edited by 218bee; 06-15-2020 at 04:20 PM.
Old 06-15-2020, 05:14 PM

I had a heck of a time with my first 20 VT and called Tod Kindler @ Woodchuck Den. Tod sold me a forming die and suggested I get a set of the Redding #10 shell holders in various heights that are for this issue. Now - I run new brass through the form die, then a FL sizer and select the shell holder that allows the bolt to drop with little resistance. (remove the firing pin / spring from the bolt first). I know others have their own ways to accomplish this but I am satisfied with my results.

Last edited by ken158; 06-15-2020 at 10:52 PM.
Old 06-15-2020, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken158 View Post
I had a heck of a time with my first 20 VT and called Tod Kindler @ Woodchuck Den. Tod sold me a forming die and suggested I get a set of the Redding #10 shell holders that are for this issue. .
I also use the #10 shell holder, plus I have one that is ground about 15 thousands off, which allows the cartridge to raise slightly higher also into the FL die, even though it is a Whidden Custom die.
Never have a issue with the case not fitting the rifle chamber.
Old 06-15-2020, 05:46 PM

I have 3 rifles with custom reamer(min.saami with short short freebore) plus many factory in the same and other cartridges. Never have had to alter any of my shellholders, I do not have the Redding minus shellholder kit. Hear about it all the time. I use the stripped bolt method to set my die, neck bushings when used are sizing for 0.002 neck tension.
Old 06-15-2020, 05:55 PM

I would suggest the Titanium Nitride bushings. The coating is a lot harder and slicker that steel. My only Redding NS die is for my 17M4, and it works great.